- - - - -

night time heating

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_katiew7103_*

Guest_katiew7103_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2005 - 01:48 PM

Thinking abou the colder months already! but can anyone suggest an economical and effective way of heating my outside enclosure at night if the temp drops below 10 degrees. If indeed it is necessary.
Katie

#2 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:11 AM

Hi Katie,

You will need a ceramic heater and a thermostat. In fact mines still coming on thro the night, hot cloudless days mean cooler nights.
Try www.livefoods.co.uk if you dont have anywhere local you can buy them, but shop around first as you may be able to get them cheaper.
The ceramic heater will click on when the temps fall below a certain limit (I have mine set at 15 celcius), and raise the ambient temps keeping your tort nice and cosy :-)
Hope this helps
PS I use livefoods regularly so can recommend them as a reliable source

#3 Guest_katiew7103_*

Guest_katiew7103_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:14 PM

Thanks Joanne,
But what sort of bulb do you have in your ceramic heater?
I have a 250 watt heat bulb in a ceramic heater for during the day. Do I need another one with a less powerful bulb for the cooler nights?
Katie

#4 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:56 AM

Hi Katie,

You dont put a bulb in a ceramic heater, its the ceramic heater that heats up.........they are ideal for during the night as they dont emit any light. Unless the temps are likely to drop below 8-10c, you wont need one anyway, its good for the your tort to feel the drop in temp from day to night
Hope this helps

#5 Guest_nikki_*

Guest_nikki_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:47 AM

Isn't 15 degrees a little high to set the thermostat for night times. Most people set theirs at around 5-8 as lower temps at night are desirable I think they only need to be protected from frost - correct me if I am wrong.
Nikki

#6 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:04 PM

Cheers Nikki, it was a typo its set at 5, and its been on a few nights too !! Temps went from 40c during the day to 3c during the night......british summers eh :-)

#7 Guest_katiew7103_*

Guest_katiew7103_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for your help. I'll look for a ceramic emitter.
Katie

#8 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:50 AM

Its a funny looking thing Katie, it screws in just like a light bulb.

#9 Guest_porkchop_71_*

Guest_porkchop_71_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:21 PM

Hi Jo

I was wondering what sort of thermostat would be needed, just looked at livefoods and there seems to be a quite a few, also probably a stupid question but does the thermostat require any complicated wiring to anything (ive got a plug socket in the shed already)

Thanks

Rachel

#10 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:05 PM

Hi Rachel,

The Pulse Start ones are very good and you'll get longer life out of your ceramic bulb too. If you are unsure, just e-mail them, the sales department is really friendly and they will let you know if its compatible with your ceramic......bit of a minefield with so many to choose from isnt it :-) Just make sure whichever one you order, the celcius goes down to at least 5c and you'll be fine.
If you've already got electricity in the shed, the wires will be long enough......mine had to stretch over the garden so hubby had to attach new wire, but yours will be okay.
Dont panic about it tho, you wont need any extra heating during the night for a while yet, the temps are fine during the night at the moment, its actually good for them to feel the drop in temps on a night, as long as its not below 5c, your tort will be okay.
Hope this helps

#11 Guest_katiew7103_*

Guest_katiew7103_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:35 PM

Hello Joanne
Do the ceramic bulbs emitt any type of light? Also what type of wattage would I need for a small enclosure, approx 1 metre x 0.5 metres.
Thanks
Katie

#12 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:56 AM

Hi Katie,

No they dont emit light, which is why they are ideal for night, it doesnt confuse the tort. In a small enclosure, you'll only need a 100 watt or 150 watt
Hope this helps

#13 Guest_katiew7103_*

Guest_katiew7103_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:29 PM

Thanks Joanne, do they fit into an ordinary heat resistant clamp type holder. I've already got one of those but I suppose I'll need another one attatched to a timer, to save me constantly switching bulbs.
Katie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users