- - - - -

Insurance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bristolchick_*

Guest_bristolchick_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:52 PM

I am getting a pair of hermann tortoises tomorrow and have been looking for insurance for them but not having much luck. Can anyone recommend a good company please?:7

#2 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:06 AM

Hi there,
The only company I know who insure torts are www.exoticsonline.so.uk
However they are really expensive, over 30-00 a month each I think, Im sure there a large excess too......it seems a real rip off to be honest.
Why not open a savings account just for your torts, put a certain amount in every month, then at the end of the year if you havent touched it, give yourself a treat .

#3 Guest_bristolchick_*

Guest_bristolchick_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:28 PM

Thanks Joanne, I might just do that. I have noticed from this site that you seem to know everything there is to know about torts so I hope you don't mind me picking your brains.

I need to get an outdoor enclosure - is there a company/type you recommend?

I have them in a vivarium at the moment - what temperature would you recommend? Would you recommend heat mats and lights?

I have been reading up on them but seem to find quite a bit of conflicting advice and want to make sure I am doing everything right.

Denise

#4 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:07 AM

Hi Denise,

Im by no means an expert !!! Just pick it up as I go along
First you need to get your tort out of the viv, they are lethal. They create high humidity which can lead to pneumonia. If you go to www.tortoises.net you will find instructions how to build your own tort table, an open-topped enclosure where the air can circulate is vital. In the meantime take the doors off the viv and place a plank of wood there, just high enough to stop your tort climbing out, this should help reduce the humidity straight away. Heat mats are also dangerous, all heat and light should come from above as in the wild, they have also been know to cause severe burns and encourage de-hydration, so please ditch this too. If you bought any of these from a pet shop, take them back and ask for a refund. If you bought your tort from there, please take a faecal sample to your vets and ask them to check for worms.
You dont need a company for your enclosure, just build your own .
Torts will only thrive if they are kept outside and indoors should only be for the beginning and end of seasons where our british weather is not very reliable. Make an area as large as you can for your tort, it must be secure and escape proof with an area like a cold frame, they can use to warm up. Also go to www.tortoisetrust.org for lots of excellent help and advise

#5 Guest_Starchild186868_*

Guest_Starchild186868_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:11 PM

Hi

Just logged back into this group after a few years absence !! I've always insured my Hermans tortoises with 'Exotic Direct' and have done for the last five years . Contrary to one of the last replies I pay just over 10 a month to insure BOTH tortoises . Touchwood I've never had to make a claim yet but I'd rather pay the money and have peace of mind . My two are insured for vets bills , death and theft .

#6 Guest_bristolchick_*

Guest_bristolchick_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:49 PM

Thanks very much, I will have a look for them now. Happy to receive any other tortoise advice being a newby. I've found a group near me and am going along to meet with them at the end of the month but I am so worried about doing things wrong.

#7 Guest_bristolchick_*

Guest_bristolchick_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:20 PM

Just been on and been quoted 85 for the pair for the year which I have agreed to. Like you I would rather pay a bit per month than get hit with a huge bill. That happened when I had bearded dragons and the female got egg bound, it cost me over 100 the first time and then 60 the second.

Thanks again for your recommendation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users