- - - - -

Assistance Please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_darkangelwitch_*

Guest_darkangelwitch_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

Since we got our 6 yrs old tortoise last week all she has done is bask under her lamp or head to the feed bowl and eat, eat, eat.......

Is this normal behaviour? She seems to eat a lot for such a small being (could she have worms?) and the only time she walks about is when we get her out of her house.

I may be worrying about nothing but your comments would be most welcome.

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

Hi there,

I feed my chaps enough weeds to cover their shells... plus a smidge! This is a very rough guide. Roxy is just settling in so give her a little time, is she eating weeds? Is what you are giving her the same as her old diet?
What temperature is it under her heat lamp?
If you are worried about worms (they are common), perhaps you could take a sample to your vet for testing?

Paula x

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

If you measure and weigh her, you will be able to keep a better eye on how she is getting on, rather than just guessing how much to offer her, her food could be adjusted to suit! rolleyes.gif

Paula x

#4 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:56 AM

Yuo are now officially a REAL tortoise owner - we worry if the don't eat, when they're eating well we worry in case they get lumpy shells. We worry if they don't move very much and if they're on the go all the time we worry in case they haven't got enough room.

#5 Guest_darkangelwitch_*

Guest_darkangelwitch_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

Well, I think Roxy is starting to settle in. She is now eating steadily (not in large bursts) and grazing rather than gorging so I feel a lot happier about her now.

She is starting to explore her house and seems to like climbing on the stones and generally wandering about.

She loves to have her head scratched but hates her legs being touched but generally doesn't mind being handled. She will be going to the vet at the end of the month just for a general check up and our python is also due for her six monthly check.

I love having a tortoise again - it has been a long time. Might even consider getting her a pal but that will probably have to wait til next year - we will see.

Thanks for your help, I had forgotton what it was like keeping a tortoise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users