Important question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nina_*

Guest_nina_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:37 PM

Hello everyone.

I really hope someone can help me....I have two Hermanns (one is 2.5 and the other is about 2 years old), my vet insists that they are both female, but the younger one does seems to have a larger tail and all that, and today "she" kept following the other one around the enclosure. They sometimes go nuts and run around like mad, but today she tried to mount the other one and I'm sure she opened her mouth and stuck her tongue out! But even if she is a male, surely she wouldn't be sexually active at that age!?..Or what?? Were they just goofing around or should I be worried??

I really hope someone has some ideas of what's going on with my torts.

Love

Nina

#2 Guest_clairekentuk_*

Guest_clairekentuk_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:45 PM

Ive been told that there is no way of telling for sure until they are 5 ish. Though some seriously overgrown torts can be sexed earlier. So like me, (my 4 are 2 1/2 -3 also) you are going to have to wait a couple of years to find out.

Claire

#3 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:13 AM

Hi Nina,

Hermanns cannot be accurately sexed until at least 5 years old. Please give us the length (in mm) and weight (in grams) to see if your torts are growing too quickly.
Dont worry about this behaviour, its perfectly normal for both male and female. As with many young, torts will display both male and female characteristics until they work out what they are , its all part of growing up and getting the pecking order right, they are just working out who is boss and who is second :-)
Dont worry about it too much just yet, if you do have a male and female you may have to seperate them in future to keep your female from getting stressed, but at this age it really isnt a problem
Hope this helps

#4 Guest_nina_*

Guest_nina_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:39 PM

Hi Jo,

It's only been this one time that they've acted funny. Otherwise they just sort of "hang out".... they're great friends and clearly enjoy each others company.

Stella weighs about 166 grams and she's almost 2 years old (or so my CITES papers say). She's about 6 cm long.

Carla weighs about 226 grams and she's 2.5 years old (again that's what my papers say). She's about 10 cm long.

What do you think?? I know I've probably fed them too much in the past, but that's over and done with now that I know better :)

Nina

#5 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:46 PM

Hello Nina
Far too early to tell yet on the 6cm tort but the 10cm tort is quite big for one so young and maybe could be sexed
Hope this helps
Arnie

#6 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:14 AM

Hi Nina,
They are heavier than they should be for their age. I know you have cut their food down to a 'leafy jacket' amount so this will cut their weight gain down to an acceptable level.
Just keep an eye to make sure one doesnt get stressed with the attention, but as long as it seems happy try not to worry too much
Best wishes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users