Chuckie and Angelica say hello!!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_claire lesley_*

Guest_claire lesley_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:36 PM

Hi every one, Whilst I have been off travelling since June, Chuckie and Angelica have been having a lovely time in their new outside enclosure. Before I left I planted it with edible plants and weeds and could not beleive the "jungle" that I returned to. I think they must have had a lot of fun in there lol.
Max had been bringing them indoors on cold/rainy days as they are still little, and then making sure they had some cuttlefish powdered onto some dandies for their calcium. I think Chuckie and Angelica are absolutley fine, no worries, but of course now is the big question of hibernation. wacko.gif
I have the choice to do it at the end of Sept. or the beginning of December as I will be out of the country once again for Oct and Nov, and I really want to be around to supervise it.
Has any one got any advice. We think the torts are 2/3 years old but have never been hibernated. We really do not have the space or funds to buy a fridge. Is the box method ok? How long do they need to stay in hibernation
As always I really appreciate your advice rolleyes.gif
Claire Lesley

#2 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hi, welcome back!

I would be inclined to hibernate them from December as September and even October can still have warm sunny days. The idea is for them to be asleep during the coldest winter months. So I would do december, jan & feb.

As for advise, I will be posting a HIBERNATION post a bit nearer the time - if I do it now it will get moved right down the list as new posts get posted and then poeple will start to ask the questions all over again! So it would be a waste of time.

I will in the next week or two be posting a post asking for all your questions so that I can start preparing for the big topic!!!! So get your thinking caps on!!!!!

#3 Guest_layla_*

Guest_layla_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

I will in the next week or two be posting a post asking for all your questions so that I can start preparing for the big topic!!!! So get your thinking caps on!!!!!
[/quote]

Well here's my first question Dawn...... Can Ethel come to you for her first hibernation so i can sleep through it with no worry..... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Only joking....I'll be fine...............I think...........

Will have a think about serious question, I'm sure I'll think of some.....or maybe lots.....

Jac

x

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:32 PM

Hi Claire,

I haven't done the hibernation thing myself yet, there are quite a few of us posting regularly, in the same boat..... we can all panic together! biggrin.gif

I shall be aiming for December, I would prefer my little chaps to be having their big sleep when the weeds are most scarce.

Paula x

#5 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:54 PM

Hi all, theres loads of us with youngsters looking at a first 'big sleep' sad.gif

At the moment the thing I am thinking about is health! Mine are still small, they are gaining weight steadily and for their length are smack on the hatchling scale which was posted on here. I am assuming as long as they are active, eating, excreting and with the length and weight tallying, then they should be good and on track for a winter siesta.

Dawn- could you ask Andy if he could lock a topic somehow to keep it at the top? Just the information sheet you are going to compile, I was thinking then we can chat away as usual without it getting lost, but be able to get it easily. just a thought.

Look forward to that, much as I love Woolfy's natural way, I think most of us don't have that option and could do with some wise words from a seasoned pro. biggrin.gif sorry makes you sound a bit dodgy!! luv u really wub.gif wink.gif

xx

#6 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

Just thought-- will they be asleep for xmas?? blush.gif I was planning tiny stockings wink.gif

#7 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

first time tort mum here aswell im not looking forward to hibernation time either but know its best for my hermanns..

ill be keeping a eye out for the hibernation post and buying our fridge next month especially for my three..lol..

does this board not have moderators on it? as i know they have the power to make posts stickys wink.gif

lol @ lil tort stockings they can have them when they wake up to celebrate there good sleep smile.gif

#8 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:56 PM

I shall ask Darran if I can make it a sticky....

LOL at Jac!!!!!

Yes all being well they should be sleeping over Xmas wub.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users