My Torts Eye ... URGENT

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TortoiseGuy_*

Guest_TortoiseGuy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:11 AM

Hi Everyone,

I woke up this morning to find that my torts eye is matted and around the matter is bubbles. I was hoping if someone could suggest what the problem is and what will cure it. I have looked on other websites but cant really find exact symptons.

Thanks Gareth

#2 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:51 PM

Hi,
I know this sounds obvious but its some kind of eye infection, Take your tortoise to a vet and get it checked out. In the mean time i sugest you try bathing it with luke warm water. I found this artical on a website It may be of help.Eye infections / conjunctivitis: This is where an infection with either watery or pussie discharge from the eye causes irritation and localised swelling. The tortoise often 'paws' at its face and eyes become shut with accumulations of purulent material. In these cases it is imperative that the eye be opened and kept open so as topical antibiotics can be applied, this being easiest facilitated with warm baths and a cotton bud.

The drops of choice are Tiacil eye drops (contains gentamicin) or Exocin drops(contains ofloxacin) and these should be used twice daily for at least 10 days. Always keep them warm at this stage as their own immune system depends on the external temperatures for optimal function.

In cases involving such species as Leopards, where eye drops may be near-on impossible to administer, it is possible to give injectable antibiotics, but this is not as effective as the drops in eliminating the infection as the ocular concentration achieved is considerably lower.

NB. In cases that do not improve after antibiotics be sure to check either for other signs associated with Vit.
A deficiency and be sure that feeding regimes provide sufficient of this important vitamin to maintain conjunctival epithelial integrity.

Abscess in or around eye socket: This is where an abscess develops in front of the eye and behind the lids. This obviously usually happens during or shortly after hibernation before the eyes fully open.

The infection can cause extensive corneal opacity which may take some time to heal. In these cases antibiotic drops, as with the conjunctivitis, are indicated but it is imperative that all the inspicated pus material be removed from the socket.

Bad cases, especially those spreading peripherally from the eye orbit also require systemic antibiotics by injection. In extreme cases corneal penetration may cause the eye to be unsalvageable and warrant surgical removal.

Hope this helps a little

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

#3 Guest_slowcoach_*

Guest_slowcoach_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:33 PM

Hi,
when bathing eye DO NOT USE COTTON WOOL - use MAKE-UP PADS - this stops small fibres being deposited in the eye adding to irritation -
You need to bath 3 - 4 times a day with luke warm water - and not wishing to state the obvious only use the pad once and not on both eyes or you will spread any infection.

Hope this helps

Karen L :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users