hibernating questions...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_avons82_*

Guest_avons82_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

Hi! I know theres going to be a hibernating post put up soon, but I just had a few specific questions...

I inherited 4 year George about a month ago, and from all accounts I dont think hes had the best life conditions so far. Hes not been given a weed diet, mostly lettuce and calcium supplement, hes not had access to a uv light and only had limited access to outdoors. Hes also been kept in a vivarium up until I got him. Probably due to a lot of this his shell is quite bumpy.... But since then its weeds, baths, outdoors just about everyday, a tort table and heat / uv lighting!! So hes a much happier chappie now. rolleyes.gif

He had a check up at the vets and apart from his bumpy shell she said he was fine. Hes never been hibernated before, but the vet recommended it. Im just worried hes not in the best health for it. But as hes my first tort I dont really know, Im probably just worrying unnecessarily... wacko.gif

The main thing is that Im due to move house at the beginning of November and am worried about this if hes hibernating. Would it be best to hibernate him once we moved so he doesnt have to be disturbed? Is there a certain period of time thats recommended? The vet mentioned that I could just do it for a couple of months seen as hes (and me) are both new to it!

Anyway, Id just like some advice, as i know it will soon be time to winding them down to the big H!

Many thanks, wub.gif

#2 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

Even though he's been kept in not ideal circumstances, that wouldn't necessarily mean he's poorly to hibernate. Hibernating is good for them as it gives the body a rest from constant eating (It's very easy to feed them too much indoors as they will eat until it's gone, whereas outdoors they just graze even though there's loads of plants).
When I hibernated for just a couple of months I did Jan/Feb. They need a wind down, without food for a month (more of that to come in Dawn's hibernating info) and I just about managed to get some weeds until the end of Nov. Weeds start appearing soon in March, so just need supplementing will florretti lettuce for a couple of weeks either side.

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:17 PM

I agree with Lin! I had to overwinter Hettie last year, where I live weeds were most scarce the middle of December to middle of February, so that is when I am hoping to hibernate this year....And then all we have to worry about is snow in March/April!! biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users