Fridges - where to get them?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_koopa_*

Guest_koopa_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knows where to buy a small fridge from?
is it okay to used a small 'beer' fridge to hibernate tortoises in?

i've never hibernated koopa before an this will be her first time. i brought her mid year 2007. she was 3 1/2 years old. i brought her from a reputible reptile centre. that year i was advised against hibernating her as i only had her 6 months and couldn't tell if she had any problems. in 2008 i chickened out hibernating her, which i know i really should have done because she spent the winter trying to hibernate, so i kept her up with regular baths and heat lamps etc so she didn't get ill through a stomach full of food etc. i know i'm a bad parent for doing so. sorry guys please don't hate me!
this year i'm going for it tho. i've been reading all your usefull advice, but i have a big lack of space so can only fit a small beer type fridge in our understairs cupboard.

any advice will be gratefully recieved
k

#2 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:10 PM

hiya

i was advised these are not really good enough as the temps are not that good in them, as i too was going to buy one of them..lol..

so im now buying a small *normal* fridge i think there called under the counter fridges with NO freezer... you may be able to get a secound hand one if you dont want to buy a brand new one look on ebay or the free ads newspapers wink.gif

#3 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:19 PM

I used one the first year I hibernated and the temperatures fluctuated quite a bit. They are ok, but if you get one make sure you use a therometer with an alarm on it, also if the warm is room you will find it very hard to keep these at a reasonable temp, ie around 5 degrees. Oh yeah, one more thing, if the room temp drops below freezing these fridges are prone to freezing as well!!!! So please be careful! If you shop around you can get a small cheap undercounter larder fridge for under 100, in fact you can get them for around 80 which is only a bit more than a chiller/drinks fridge, and will last longer so probably worth the investment! I then use mine through the summer for drinks!!!!

#4 Guest_koopa_*

Guest_koopa_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

thanks for the advice clair and dawn
looks like i'm going to trawl the free ads soon etc *sigh*

k biggrin.gif

#5 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:13 PM

when you get your fridge have it up and running for about a month before the torts go in so you can keep a check on the temp wink.gif (advise i was also given on here..lol)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users