Still Not Eating

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_simountain1_*

Guest_simountain1_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:51 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-07-05 AT 09:52 PM (GMT)]Ive posted here about goergie my 3 yr old hermann a couple of weeks ago.
She wasnt eating and found she had worms. She has since been treated by the vet for the worms but still wont eat a thing maybe the odd bite. The vet told me to carry on treatment and put it on her food once a week for 3 more weeks but how can i if she wont eat?
Ive tried everything even weeds that torts will eat but she just is not intrested she hasnt eaten anything much apart from a couple of mouthfulls for the last few days.
Should i take her back to see the vet as im concerned now?

#2 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:15 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-07-05 AT 08:18 AM (GMT)]Hi Simon,

Whats she like generally? Is she still active? Does she wake up herself on a morning?
If she isnt eating anything for 3 weeks then I think she needs to go back to the vet. Sometimes lack of food can result in anorexia in torts and they need to be tube fed with critical care to kick start their appetite.
Is your tort well hydrated, are the urates gritty or creamy?
If she isnt eating and not taking her panacur, she may still have a heavy worm load, ring your vet and explain the situation and ask if one dose of systemax would be better.
Hope this helps

#3 Guest_Inca_*

Guest_Inca_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:21 PM

Simon,

Get thee back to the vet. I foolishly tried worming my tortoise with Panacur paste - it wouldn't touch it and it still had worms.

My vet gave my tortoise 1x dose of panacur via a stomach tube (to make sure it had it all) and then another dose of panacur via stomach tube 2 weeks later.

I think only the vet can really make sure they get the dose right for small tortoises like mine (2 years)- take it back a demand a stomach tube and the right dosage!!

Inca

#4 Guest_nina_*

Guest_nina_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:01 PM

Hi Simon,

I agree - you should go back to the vet. I've had mine wormed with systemax (I have two little Hermanns), and that really killed all those nasty little worms. When they poo all the worms come out dead - thank god. I've heard that Panacur really isn't that effective. Systemax should be the best! Double check with your vet and ask why he isn't treating your tort with systemax!

Best wishes

Nina

#5 Guest_simountain1_*

Guest_simountain1_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:08 PM

The vet gave me something called OXFENDAZOLE the first dose was tubed by the vet, and i was told the rest in weekly intervals 4 doses in total?
Shes not very active at all just goes back and burrows in and stays there all the time.
We bathe her daily in warm water and she passes urates which are creamy browny/yellow.
The vet was a local zoo vet which is on the vet list on this site so i thought shed be reputable.
When we took her to the vet she checked her over and said she was in full health and she looked very well.

#6 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:29 AM

Hi Simon,

Thats a high amount of dosage........Oxfendazole is a derivative of panacur, but much stronger and unpalatable (which is why its tubed).
In repeated doses at the same strengh as panacur it is not a good idea, normally two doses are given if its a heavy gut load of worms and usually at two week intervals. Keep an eye out for him passing the worms, your hygiene needs to be strict to avoid him re-infecting himself. Remove faeces as soon as you can and completey change the substrate daily until all the worms have been passed.
Hope this helps

#7 Guest_Gwen_*

Guest_Gwen_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:29 PM

When I first got my tort he was loaded with worms and a good tip I was given by someone was to place the tort in a bath of lukewarm water placed under the spotlight which encourages them to "go". I did and it really worked - my tort passed hundreds (and I am not exaggerating!)of very small white worms and about 5 large ones.

#8 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:30 PM

Yes this will help him once the worm treatment has started to work. They must have looked awful !! Imagine having all of them inside you :-(

#9 Guest_simountain1_*

Guest_simountain1_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2005 - 11:05 PM

I hope it gets rid of them i feel sorry for her. She seems a bit better now still sleepy but after a long day out in the garden, which she loved, she seems much better than she was a few days back. And she's eaten quite a bit over the last few days which im glad of.
The vet gave me a novel way of putting her a nappy like thing on made from kitchen roll (she showed me how to do it) to stop her reinfecting herself, and said to change it every day for a month.
I must admit it is a good idea as it stops her pooing in her food and reinfectiong herself and it doesnt seem to bother her at all.
What are your thought on tortoises wearing nappies?? I think its a good idea to stop them reinfecting themselves while they are being treated for them

#10 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:54 AM

Hi Simon,

Its a novel method I've never heard of before......but we live and learn eh? As long as its not bothering her, it helps catch the offending worms. Im pleased she seems to be getting a bit better, it can take a while, especially with a heavy worm load. Have you noticed any worms yet?

#11 Guest_nina_*

Guest_nina_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2005 - 06:04 PM

A nappy?? My two torts have just been treated for worms twice and I thought that the worms that came out were dead - and that they couldn't reinfect themselves when the worms were dead?

What does the nappy look like and how come it doesn't fall off??

Nina

#12 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:57 PM

Hi Nina,

No, not all the worms will be dead unfortunately :-( hence the need for extra hygiene or your tort will become reinfected. In the wild this is not a problem as they cover such a large area every day, there is little chance of re-infection. Obviously in captivity they cover the same areas time and again, and re-infection will occur.
Hope this helps

#13 Guest_simountain1_*

Guest_simountain1_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:52 PM

no it does'nt bother her really she gets a bit of a strop on when its changed but shes not too bad.
We've seen a few worms but most still look alive will they eventually go?

#14 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:50 AM

Hi Simon,

Yes eventually they will, it can take a while depending on the worm load. How many doses has she had so far? Is she eating any better?
Getting stroppy when your changing her is actually a good sign, at least shes more herself, do you think?
The more worms that come out the better, it means the medication is working :-).

#15 Guest_simountain1_*

Guest_simountain1_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:47 PM

shes had 3 now one more to go next week and the vet said thats enough.
Shes eating a bit better but still being stubban with certain things like dandilions and weeds she should be eating

#16 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:52 AM

She'll give in eventually, persevere and it'll be worth it :-)
Great to see her on the mend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users