- - - - -

Shelby

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Pmorris70_*

Guest_Pmorris70_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:55 AM

Hi Everyone, i bought a Hermann tortoise three months ago and was told to dust her food with a mixture of one part Nutrobal to two parts Limestone flour. Is this correct as she definately prefers her food without it?

#2 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:17 AM

Hi there,

That ratio is very high and there is a small chance you could overdose on the nutrobal. Limestone flour is very safe and you literally cannot overdose your tort with it, any excess is merely excreted.
My mix is 7 limestone flour and 3 nutrobal so you might want to dilute your mix.
Hope this helps

#3 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:00 PM

i've been told to dust his food with just nutrobal ...i'm confused :'( and trust me it dont take much
where do i buy limeflour from ????

#4 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:00 PM

oops forgot to say mines a horsfield tortie

#5 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:23 AM

Hi Emma,

Nutrobal is essential.........our sun does not give off enough uvb for torts in the UK, and therefore an artificial D3 is needed (nutrobal) to avoid a calcium deficiency, so you are giving the most important. Limestone flour is another form of calcium carbonate and many people find mixing to two together dilutes the taste of the nutrobal (its very strong!) making it easier to get your tort to take it. You can buy it from horse feed suppliers in big 3kg tubs for about 3-00. I mix a full tub in with the soil/sand mixture in the enclosure, so that any plants growing are absorbing the limestone making the plants richer in calcium. You cannot overdose on limestone flour.
Hope this helps

#6 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:18 AM

will try that thank you ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users