make a sick turtle well

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_korenza_*

Guest_korenza_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:36 PM

i have been given a 8 year old herman tortoise who is under weight and who s shell is a wee bit brittle. i know he will need calcium and feeding up but i really need suggestions as i have never had one before help please

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (korenza @ Sep 20 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have been given a 8 year old herman tortoise who is under weight and who s shell is a wee bit brittle. i know he will need calcium and feeding up but i really need suggestions as i have never had one before help please

hi what kind of set up have you got for your tort?may be you should take him her to the vet for a chek up take a wee sample of poo with you aswell get it tested for worms

#3 Guest_korenza_*

Guest_korenza_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

he has a 2ft by 2ft exo terra terrarium which i was given with him but i know it is too small already looking into a bigger set up for him (poss a table of some sort) and i have made an apt for him to get his claws and beak cut as i noticed he was having trouble getting his food stuch on his beak!
He is still eating well though and gas grabbed everything i have given him lol which i think is a good thing?
He has been scratching his front legs against his shell behind his neck constantly so am getting him checked later (think might just be really dry skin though as he has nt been looked after properly for some time.
Interested to know what foods and extra suppliments to give him to build him back up (i gave him a variety of greens and petals and he got a cuttle fish this morning too.
im in love already hes adorable my wee herman

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:42 PM

Sounds like a new home has come along just in time for your new little Hermann! wub.gif

His enclosure is too small for him and so your idea of a new torty table is an excellent one!

Has he had access to UV lights? If he has been neglected the terrarium you have may include a light, but they are only effective at providing UV for 6 months so although providing some light torty, probably won't be getting any UV rays.

Does he have a heat bulb for basking?

If you weigh him weekly and measure him, you will be able to keep an eye on how he is doing.

There is an edible section on the forum which will help you find good foods to feed him.

Let us know how you get on today with him, any questions just ask away and we will try and help you get him sorted with a better environment.

Best of luck with him at the vets.

Paula x

#5 Guest_korenza_*

Guest_korenza_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Sep 21 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like a new home has come along just in time for your new little Hermann! wub.gif

His enclosure is too small for him and so your idea of a new torty table is an excellent one!

Has he had access to UV lights? If he has been neglected the terrarium you have may include a light, but they are only effective at providing UV for 6 months so although providing some light torty, probably won't be getting any UV rays.

Does he have a heat bulb for basking?

If you weigh him weekly and measure him, you will be able to keep an eye on how he is doing.

There is an edible section on the forum which will help you find good foods to feed him.

Let us know how you get on today with him, any questions just ask away and we will try and help you get him sorted with a better environment.

Best of luck with him at the vets.

Paula x

#6 Guest_korenza_*

Guest_korenza_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:07 PM

he only had a 240 w asda bulb in his tank and that was it, i went this morning and got him a 150w day bulb, some nutient powder and a thermometer.
I have kind of been caught at the (tight) part of the month so having to get things gradually next big thing on my list is thermostat and uvb bulb and housing (seems to be the most expensive parts)
I did however go to home base and focus looking for play sand and when explained what was for they gave me the sand and some really cool flat slab peices for him free so i am doing better than i thought as well as getting loads of advice and ideas from here too (seen a great tort table earlier gave me loads of ideas im all excoted lol)

#7 Guest_korenza_*

Guest_korenza_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:55 PM

just one more question guys (well for today anyway lol)
was advised today to use play sand and not a mixture but i am worried that it is getting everywhere will it not upset hermans eyes and hes getting it in his food too will it upset his stomach
god i am stressing sooo much already and i thought cats, dogs, rabbits and kids was stressful!!!!!

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

Hang in there every change you make will be good for the little chap!!
You definately need a mixture, of sterilised top soil and childrens play sand lots of advice on ratios as everyone does things a little differently. I use 70% topsoil to 30% playsand. Too much sand will probably cause eye irritation plus the gut could get impacted with it as he would take in sand with food.
You could feed from your new piece of slate which will keep the food away from the substrate and also keep his beak and nails trim.
His new enclosure doesn't need to cost alot. People buy second hand bookcases and convert them into enclosures.
Does he have access to water? Do you bath him?
There are lots of lighting options the prefered choice is a combined UV and heat bulb although the initial outlay is quite expensive.
Stressing is normal.... its a torty owner thing!! biggrin.gif
How did he get on with his beak and nail trim today?

Paula x

#9 Guest_korenza_*

Guest_korenza_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

He has his apt at vet this after noon i am so scared it sounds hurendous and his beak is about an inch long OUCH!!!! i dont think i will be able to watch.
At this precise moment he is following my cat around the living room and she s not too happy about it lol he just wants to see what shes doing but she s not too sure about the rock that moves just yet
i already have a bookcase to use and have been given alot of stuff too, also went out today and got a great wooden planter thingy reduced to 3 cause it was broken (had a screw missing but i made a big thing of it lol)and i am going to split in half and make it into two cool shelters for his table (i did nt go to art college for nothing you know lol)
i have my bookcase on the floor just now and i am lining it with laminating sheets then sealing it (1 for 12 sheets BARGAIN he he he ) at the moment my table is costing round about 12 (not including my strip light of course but even then it will only be about 70 in total one he has everything he need which i think is not too bad for no notice and 4 days hard slog for my wee man xxx

#10 Guest_korenza_*

Guest_korenza_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:31 PM

erm how do you steralise soil???

#11 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (korenza @ Sep 22 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
erm how do you steralise soil???

you can buy it from B&Q its called top soil same as the childrens play sand wink.gif if i remember right there only about 3.50 for a nice big bag

also have a piece of slate or large flat stone to place his food on that way it will not get covered in the soil/playsand and your tort will not be eating his substrate...(if like mine he a messy pup he may pull some food onto the substrate but at least not the whole lot of his dinner..lol)

#12 Guest_korenza_*

Guest_korenza_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

erm yes defo messy i tried putting his food on the slabs h b gave me yesterday but because of his beak being so long he has to push his food along alot till he gets it (kind of looks like a torty kebeb when hes done lol oh its such a shame poor wee soul)
i usually sit with him and hold it for him so he can get some till his apt today
Does the stuff you mean say steralised on it or does it just say top soil???
also is it usual for them to be sooo interested in the cat?? the faster poor tilly goes the faster he goes to see what she s doing lol

#13 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

normal top soil from the garden centre or DIY store will be fine - or if you have a garden take it from there! Just check the bag of sho bought stuff to make sure it contains no pesticides/chemicals

#14 Guest_korenza_*

Guest_korenza_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

i have bags of compost in the garden will that do? or does it have to say top soil? i will check when i go out.!

#15 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (korenza @ Sep 22 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have bags of compost in the garden will that do? or does it have to say top soil? i will check when i go out.!

i would use the top soil

#16 Guest_korenza_*

Guest_korenza_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:36 PM

just back from vets my wee herman is deformed sad.gif sad.gif
his shell is soft and deformed and his bottom jaw is deformed, and he said that his legs and walking are all deformed too because of his diet and hes been in such a small place for soo long my poor wee man
Well i dont care i think hes gorgeous and i will do everything i can to make his new life amazing xx

#17 Guest_layla_*

Guest_layla_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (korenza @ Sep 22 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well i dont care i think hes gorgeous and i will do everything i can to make his new life amazing xx

Good for you. wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Jacqui

xxx

#18 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:17 PM

Awww bless him wub.gif

He is sooooo lucky you came along.

Will he need any further treatment, or is it just changes to his lifestyle he needs?

Paula x

#19 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

Aw sorry to hear that, but this is what will make him so special to you. He is very lucky to have landed on your doorstep wub.gif

Maybe you can highlight what his previous diet was as there are some posts talking about diet currently live on the forum, people feed their torts an unatural diet and then wonder why this happens.... wacko.gif

#20 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:14 PM

awww poor guy

did they manage to sort his beak out though so he can start to eat a lot easier??

well here"s to a better life for the guy spoil him rotten x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users