bananas...bad???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_avons82_*

Guest_avons82_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

hellooooo!

Not asked many questions for a while, but....

my friend who used to have a tort said hers loved banana.... is this bad for them to eat? or is it a more of a tomato rule: little and (not too) often as treats??

just wondered... thanks! rolleyes.gif

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

Banana is toxic to them so please don't feed it - I guess your friend (or her torts) was just lucky!!!!

#3 Guest_avons82_*

Guest_avons82_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Sep 22 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Banana is toxic to them so please don't feed it - I guess your friend (or her torts) was just lucky!!!!

OH MY GOODNESS! good job i asked! thanks so much!

can i just ask.. i feed Zippy as many weeds as i can find (mostly dandies), and he has some florette or romaine lettuce and cucumber (only for hydration purposes), but i do often give in to a bit of apple or tomato as he just gulps it down! He likes cabbage.. but doesnt eat many weeds (probably due to him being on a lettuce only diet before I had him - tut tut!) but is there anything else I can give him? He loves cuttle fish by the way..! wub.gif

thanks!

#4 Guest_korenza_*

Guest_korenza_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

i have been advised anything in season and green and crunchy is good
no citrus
no icebergh
no bulb plants
but i did also ask about banana and was told very small amount as so sugary so bit shocked about toxic thing myself
mine loves most fruit, pear, strawberries(small amount)(also has same effect as e numbers on kids lol)
i gave herman some butter nut squash this morning and sugar snap peas he thought it was great
i think variety is key as they seem to get bored too xx

#5 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:18 PM

You shouldn't feed too much fruit as it upsets their gut flora, also cabbage is a no-no. Personally I would stick to weeds and top op as and when with floretti, I would very rarely give fruit/veg as it's not a natural diet for them and it was feeding them that kind of stuff in the 70s/80s/90s that led to premature death, pyramiding etc. My Tallulah & Grace was fed mainly fruit and veg and has terrible pyramiding according to the brreder who bred them they had a very bad diet but it was what they thought they should be fed!

#6 Guest_TheWolfXIV_*

Guest_TheWolfXIV_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

I have a tortoise that has lived for over 80 years and has lived on solely banana, lettuce, tomato and the dandelion and bit of grass. Never been a problem, she even won the Fastest Tortoise in 1973. Don't believe the hype.

#7 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

Older tortoises just tolerate fruit better but it is still not good for them! ;)
Freddy

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

Exactly, once the shell formation is set, there is less to go wrong, but it doesn't mean it is not doing them harm. Many dead tortoises have been found to have kidney and liver damage, when the owners thought that they were perfectly healthy. Tortoises that run are often in pain, whereas mammals in pain tend to hide away ;) Some do last longer but it doesn't mean they are 100%. Remember over 90% of imports from the 60s and 70's are dead, so it's not hype exactly :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users