free M.O.T

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:09 PM

http://www.burleydam...september-2009/

i hope the above link works if not type in the search bar burleydam..

im not sure if many of you are near this place but i will be taking my three as i have yet to find a vet that knows his/her torts laugh.gif i hope this guy does know what he is talking about..lol.. have any of you heard of him??

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:44 PM

Yeah sounds ok, just to put a dampner on it though, be careful - there's been a lot of tort thefts of late and somewhere like this will attract people that way inclined because they can see 'what you got', in other words just be careful who you give your information too! Reg of course is fine, Im on about 'people' in the crowd..

but otherwise, enjoy!!!! :rolleyes: let us know how you get on

#3 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

Hi,
I have been to one of there gatherings when they were at cannon hill park Birmingham and they had lots of experts,they weighed checked in there mouths and you could ask lots of questions they also take a photo of there plastron and send it through to you,there were lots of people with all ages of torts it was great i thoroughly enjoyed it,i found it a great experience,i highly recommend can be a great day out with the family,my children loved it they saw two huge tortoises and they were about eighty years of age.
Jay and H

#4 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:35 PM

I'm not critisising (?sp!) these at all - I wish they had one down my way!!!! All I'm saying is be careful as you don't know who's gonna turn up, also don't forget you are mixing with loads of other torts, make sure you wash hands before handling other peoples torts to minimise infection risk.

If you can take photo's, let us know what it's like - there's nothing or no-one tortoisey round my way :(

#5 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

well today is the day im off to burley dam to see reg and hopefully my threee are fit n healthy and ok for hibernation...

no-one will be touching my torts (well apart from reg)..lol.. and i will be watching to see if reg washes his hands inbetween torts he handles....

i dont think piccies will be aloud but ill have my phone so will try sneak a few on that..lol..

catch you all later and i hope boris n betty n boop dont get car sickness..lmao..

#6 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

well all three were weighed and measured..

boops nails are to long and need trimming down so will make her do a few laps of the pavement in the garden to try sort them out and i will raise the rocks so when she climbs they will scrape and hopefully wear down... boris and betty no problems with them at all :ohmy: )

ppl that weighed n measured washed there hands after each tort that they handled they noted down the weight and length, breed and age and of course name because apparantly they keep the info so the next time they are at burley dam again they compare the notes for when i take them back.

reg said they were nice n heavy when he handled them and they were ok to hibernate but because it is there first hibernation and there only young only to do it for 4 weeks???
he also felt along the front of there shells?? (were the bow is) why was this??
i said i was bathing every night he said no need to because in the wild they get one rainstorm every month or something so to do it once a week???

couldnt really have a good conversation as it had that rushed feeling to it because there were a few ppl there and some were complaining of the wait, so i only asked if they were ok to hibernate.

there were mostly spur thighs torts there when i was in line the oldest was 75yrs (mine were the smallest and youngest at the time i was there..lol..)

sooo ppl of the forum i ask you

do i hibernate longer than 4 weeks?? because i thought the mim was 8weeks??

why was he feeling the front of there shells??

do i still bathe nightly or leave it to once a week like he says?

so really going to see this person has left me more confused than ever..lol..

#7 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:05 PM

Ahhh that really helped alot then Clair!!
It is soooo difficult when we are told different things, we can read lots of the same info, given by lots of different people, but if the original source is the same we are just sharing info. :wacko:
With regard to hibernation I would read from as many different reliable sources as possible and then make my own decision.
I bath my little guys probably 5 days per week and this morning still had grainy urates from two of them indicationg dehydration. :rolleyes:
I didn't dry their weeds so well to see if this helps.... last time I tried this tactic Hettie had loose bowels! We just have to try our best with the info we have, but be aware that in the future todays practices will probably be proven wrong!! That's progress eh?!! :D

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users