Is Stewie's Vivarium a bad idea?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ch+Stewie_*

Guest_Ch+Stewie_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

Hi,

I bought Stewie just over 2 weeks ago. He is a 1 yr old Hermanns Tortoise and he's lovely :rolleyes:

He's living in a home made vivarium, which looks amazing I must admit. It's 4.5ft long by 2ft wide and about 2ft tall. It has a glass front and a lid to open it. I hear that a tortoise table was best due to airflow, but we have two cats so wanted to ensure Stewie's safety by keeping him in a vivarium.

To solve the air problem my boyfriend has fitted two computer fans on either end of the vivarium. One sucks air from outside in, and the other blows the old air out. They're about 4inches square and give a good amount of air into the vivarium.

Do you think this would be adequate air for my little guy? When I open the lid to say hello it doesn't seem at all stuffy in there, and no different from the outside world.

The heat also seems decent. He has a warm end where he basks and the other end doesn't seem anywhere near as warm and there is a noticeable difference. He also has a house which he can go into to which is in the cooler area.

I've heard so much about keeping tortoises in tables, but in my (inexperienced!) opinion this seems like a good compromise seeing as I want him to be safe from naughty kitties.

What do you guys think?

#2 Guest_Ch+Stewie_*

Guest_Ch+Stewie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:58 AM

Hi again guys....

Just thought i'd send you a link to the tank. I don't have any pics on my laptop, but it is on youtube :ohmy: )

#3 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:33 AM

Hiya, just looked at ur viv on your tube. Whilst these are not ideal, I have to say you've done a fab job!

Keep an eye on your temps and if need be you can alter it so that the lid stays open -you need to have a basking temp under the heat lamp of 30 - 35 degrees and the cool end needs to be around 20 - 25 degrees.

Also watch your tort doesn't become stressed with the glass, they have no concept of glass and will quite often 'bash' into it - if that happens you may need to put a bit of wood or something along the bottom.

ps - my beardie dragon is VERY jealous of Stewie's viv!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 Guest_Ch+Stewie_*

Guest_Ch+Stewie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:40 AM

Hahaha yeh I must admit it would be ideal for a Beardy!

Stewie seems happy enough though.. we're going to have a re jig tonight and change the fan speeds because the cooler area isn't quite cool enough I don't think, but we'll get there with a bit of tweaking.

I did wonder about the glass before he moved in, but he's not bothered with it at all. I think he quite like's it actually, as he's in the living room and often stands by the glass watching us. I wanted him to be in the living room with the rest of the family, and he seems to quite like being with everyone.

#5 Guest_Kusu_09_*

Guest_Kusu_09_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

i also keep my tort in a viv, its only 3ft but as sheis only lil herself and comes out to play in the room most days will increase its size as she gets bigger.

i know many tortoise enthuiasts have a problem with viv's mine has a glass front but also had a wooden lip at the bottom so she cant see out and we have a temp regulator which automatically turns the heat off if it gets too hot and also gives a warning alarm if it gets 2oC too hot of too cold from what i ahve set it at, i also think this is better as this winter i will not be hibernating her she is a new tortoise to me and i am newto tortoise keeping adn have not done enought research on the subject.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users