fridge

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tortoisemad_*

Guest_tortoisemad_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

i just got a fridge but got a feeling it no good the temp only go down too 8c is that too high it needs too be 4 or 5 dont it ?

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:01 PM

Have you given it plenty of time for the temperature to stabilize it does seem a bit warm, I hope someone else will confirm but I think food should be stored at 1C-4C in the fridge.
If it is 8C it is not fit for the purpose of keeping food cool and safe to eat. Is it a fridge you have bought or a drinks chiller?

Paula x

#3 Guest_tortoisemad_*

Guest_tortoisemad_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

its a drink cooler chiller at 8c can the tortoise go in there or is it too high

#4 Guest_michele_*

Guest_michele_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

I think it should be 5c,but i'm sure somebody will clarify that for you

#5 Guest_layla_*

Guest_layla_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:01 PM

hi,

think it has to be 5 degrees, but i would try putting bottles of water on empty shelves where you won't be putting tort, and check temp again, sometimes fridges and freezers don't work to temperature when empty, worth a try.

Jacqui

x

#6 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:24 AM

My fridge is always at 6-7 degrees. As long as it doesn't go above 10 it's fine for your tort. I'm going to get the torts their own little fridge this year and keep cartons of fruit juice in there to fill it up. I might also keep some tinned food in there which will free up cupboard space. Fridges always work more efficiently when they are full

#7 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

the fridge should be kept between 3 - 7 degrees, with 5 degrees being the best temp to maintain it at

#8 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:13 PM

I think if it only goes down to 8 then I wouldn't use that one myself because you always get fluctuations with them and if, say the central heating kicked in, that could take the temp over 10 for a period of time which we don't want. I would feel that the 8 degrees would leave me no room for error.

I use a drinks chiller fridge and didn't have problems getting 5C or less out of it. I suspect the temp in it is not quite as stable as larger one might be, but then if its the food fridge there is a lot of opening and shutting the door and putting warm stuff in to get chilled etc.

The water bottles are good for stabilising it I agree with that and the fridge is more efficient with any kind of solids in it.

I've seen it written so many times that 5C is the temp to get and I prefer to stay as close to that as possible.

(Probably best solution is to have a large fridge with a large amount of tortoises in it, as their mass would stabilise it superbly!!)

#9 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

Oh nooooooooo, large fridges should have large bottles of wine in them......not torts!!!! :laugh:

#10 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:41 PM

Or, a combination of the two (and some beer for those that prefer i) !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users