Several questions :)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Leezeebub_*

Guest_Leezeebub_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

Hi just need advice on a few things. my Herman 14 months old and kept in a vivarium.

1. The floor under his bark is swarming with tiny insects, is there anyway to prevent this? I'm just worried about them spreading and infesting my house lol

2. What's the best way to keep his nails short? They are fine at the moment but they are getting longer.

There was another question but it escapes me at the moment :) I'll pop back later
thanks!

#2 Guest_AndyG_*

Guest_AndyG_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

never had that problem with tiny insects!!! have you tried cleaning out the bark completely and washing out vivarium with repitle safe cleaning fluid? then refill with new bark.

i use nail clippers on ours if they get to long, don't cut to short!

#3 Guest_Leezeebub_*

Guest_Leezeebub_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

Thanks I'll go buy some new Chipped wood and cleaner tomorrow.
I'll trim his nails if they keep growing but isn't there some kind of scratching post (or tortoise equivalent) I could encourage him to use?

#4 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:04 PM

hi i wouldnt use the bark if it is full of incects!!!try top soil havent had any probs with it by far the best and i have tried most stuff.as for his nails put some slate in his pen that will keep them trim.i wouldnt go cutting nails if you are not sure.sorry but would get rid of the viv as well

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:07 PM

As Bruce has already pointed out it is a good idea to use slate and stones in the enclosure as a natural way to keep the nails trim. Unless you really know what you are doing I would avoid cutting them, they have a vein inside and clipping wrongly could cause bleeding.

I would ditch the infested bark asap! Topsoil or a topsoil/playsand mix (70/30 ratio) is a much more tortoise friendly substrate. Probably cheaper too. :D

We shall wait with baited breath until you remember what you had forgotten!! :D

Paula x

#6 Guest_Leezeebub_*

Guest_Leezeebub_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:18 AM

Soil does sound better so I'll look into it today :)

the other question was about cleaning the tortoise. When i bought him I read that I should place him in his water bowl and let him do his business before changing the water, but this doesn't seem very effictive. How do you clean him?

Also, what is so bad about vivariums? Alister seems very happy and he spends about an hour a day playing with people outside the viv (when I say playing I mean he just crawls around while I make sure he doesn't hurt himself lol).
Unfortunately the viv is nessesary at the moment but I'll probably make a table eventually

thanks again for all the help guys :)

#7 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:46 PM

The main object of warm baths is to keep them hydrated and yes they sometimes wee or poo in the bath, which saves it going into the substrate. You don't need to clean them as such (and never oil their shells), but if he does get dirty you can just clean him with a soft toothbrush.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users