what box?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:43 AM

well i was going to put all my three into a jacobs plastic tub but realised its no good incase one does a widdle i wouldnt know which one done it so i need to know what are you using for the fridge?? cause im going to need 3 of them.

im going to use shredded newspaper (i knew the paper shredder would come in handy.lol) is this ok?

also which cooling temp is the best Cools to 8-18 degrees C. or Cools to 15C below ambient temperature.

there the 2 fridges we are looking at

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hi Clair,

I honestly haven't the foggist what your going on about with the cooling bit!!! What fridge is it?????????????

I use the biscuit/cracker boxes. All my torts go into indiividual ones.

The bottom pic is when I used toy storage boxes the year before

#3 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

lol

its ok dawn i was looking at two small fridges but both gave different temps it cools too thats why i ask which one was best..

fridge A. Cools to 8-18 degrees C.

or

Fridge B: Cools to 15C below ambient temperature.

now looking at your pictures does that mean i have to buy 3 thermometers?? i was going to buy one and just pop it in the fridge but i see they need to go into the boxs???

also do they not need to be buried in whatever is in the box?? i see your happily on top?

my gawd this hibernating lark aint easy and i havent even started pmsl

#4 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

are you sure these are fridges and not portable coolers? Especially the one that cools to 15 degrees below ambient temperature. That sounds like the electric type coolers that you can take in the car or go camping with and cannot be compared to a fridge. Just a thought....... regards. Mark.

#5 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:56 PM

Some burrow, some don't. Some sleep with their heads dangling out. some don't go to sleep properly for a few days.

#6 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

The top picture is when I had got them out of the fridge so they had just woken up... none of mine have ever buried completly. They tend to just sit on the bedding or just slightly under it but never right down...

As for the 'sleeping bit' - I can't remember who told me...it may have been Terry???? But they don't actually go into a deep sleep like for example a bear would.. they are actually awake lots of the time!!!! This is why you need to moniter them and ensure they don't wee, cos if they do they will dehydrate very quickly.

#7 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:30 PM

please look at these links and tell me which fridge is best to buy?? im so confused one person is telling me wine cooler is ok another is saying a normal fridge aarrghhhhhh...

which one would you buy

A: http://www.argos.co......xt>FRIDGE.htm

b: http://www.argos.co......xt>FRIDGE.htm

hope the links work i really would like the pros and cons on both please...

and do i need 3 theremostats and place in each box or am i just wanting the temp of the whole fridge?????

(my torts are only just over 6cm in length so i dont want to buy a normal huge fridge..lol..thats why im going small for now)

#8 Guest_tortoisemad_*

Guest_tortoisemad_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:23 PM

not sure the 2nd one will be any good as its for wine and beer so the temp might only go far down as 10c

#9 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hi Claire

I have looked at both fridges, and have to say I definately wouldn't go for the 2nd one, purely because it states it only cools down to 12 degrees. And I believe the temperature has to be kept to as near to 5 degrees as possible. I couldn't see the temperatures on the other fridge. So I am not sure about this one.

As for the thermometers, I'm not sure if you would need 3 or if 1 will be ok. So I too would like an answer on this one as well if anybody is able to let us know. Because, I think Dora and Phoebe may be hibernating with Ethel this Year (please auntie Jacqui), So we need to know if we need more than 1 thermometer for them.

Gail
xx

#10 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

Hi Claire,
Gail is right, the temperature range is no good for hibernating torts. I have a small chiller for beer, but I won't be using it for hibernation, it could be because it is in the same room as my tumble dryer, but the temperature fluctuates alot. I am also looking for a fridge and have hibernation L plates.
The other fridge appears to have a freezer box? I have read that these are not suitable either?
Back to the drawing board for us lot eh?! :rolleyes:

Paula x

#11 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

Oh God

Can't somebody start up a hibernation hospital, where we can just drop them all off and pick them up a few weeks later? A bit like respite. LOL

It is so worrying getting everything right.

Gail
xx

#12 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:16 AM

Brilliant idea Gail.
As for Paula: "I have a small chiller for beer, but I won't be using it for hibernation, it could be because it is in the same room as my tumble dryer, but the temperature fluctuates alot." More likely because there won't be room for the torts with all that beer :laugh:

#13 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

lol i think i like paulas fridge full of beer..lmao..

im still hunting for a fridge and finally understand the temp thing so at least i know im looking for a fridge that will go down to the temp i need it at..lol..

again do we need a thermomter in each tort box or will one taking the temp of the whole fridge be enough?? as i need to get these ordered from ebay

#14 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:39 PM

No you only need to have one, I use three because, well I have 3! Also just like to keep an eye on the temps in the different areas of the fridge.

With regards to the fridge question Claire, you have 3 torts so it would be more cost effective to buy a under counter/freestanding larder fridge. Otherwise you will be paying out for a small fridge now and in a few years time you will need a bigger one! I keep mine switched on all year round - in the summer I use it for putting bottles of drink in it!

#15 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

ordered my fridge it arrives friday got it from argos and yep its a larder fridge so i hope all 3 fit in ok..lol..£109 it was :blink: these torts are costing me a mint..lol..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users