Temps

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nina_*

Guest_nina_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:44 PM

Hi everyone,

We're enjoying the most beautiful weather in Denmark. My torts are outside all day long in their enclosure. However, I'm not sure if it's too cold at night for them?? The temperature drops to about 14 degrees at night - is that too cold? I let them stay outside last night and I didn't get any sleep because I was so worried about them. I kept getting up to check on the outside temperature - the coldest was 14.

So what do you reckon??

Nina

#2 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:03 PM

Hi Nina,

Those temps are fine, as long as it doesnt go below 5c, they wont come to any harm.
Hope this helps

#3 Guest_nina_*

Guest_nina_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:48 PM

Really? 5 celcius? That's amazing! I guess they'll be alright then.... I thought around 15 celcius was the absolute minimum.
I guess I'll just have to get used to them spending the night outside. Usually I bring them inside and then they sleep in their indoor enclosure (same room as me), and that just feels really safe (to me because I'm overprotective), but they probably prefer their outdoor enclosure.

Thanks Joanne!

Nina

#4 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:33 PM

Hello Nina
You don't say how old your torts are,
But anyway, I make sure mine are in their shelter or Green house if the temps fall down to 10 degree's the colder they get at night in the summer the longer they take to warm up.
Arnie

#5 Guest_nina_*

Guest_nina_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:43 AM

Hi Arnie,

My torts are 2 and 2.5 years old (if my fake CITES papers are to be trusted..hmm)
They sleep in their shelter which is nice and dry. Even if it should start raining they wouldn't get the slightest bit wet.
Last night it was around 16 celcius, and they seemed fine when I went outside to check on them this morning.
If the weather is really bad (rainy and cold) I bring them inside, because I just can't sleep peacefully otherwise.
They also have a green house, but they never sleep in it at night. I guess they feel too exposed

Nina

#6 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:55 PM

Hi Nina,

As long as the following day is going to be warm enough to get them going,and as long as they are protected from the frost, they are okay. It gets quite cold in the Med on a night so they are built to cope :-) If they dont feel the changes in temps, it can be difficult winding them down reading for hibernation. Sounds like you have a great set up for them :-)

#7 Guest_Blighty_*

Guest_Blighty_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:09 PM

Nina..I think your Tortoises are a bit too young to take any low temperatures at this stage, and with your altitude I would not risk anything lower than 8c even when they are larger, also your lack of sunshine hours could mean they do not get up to temperature, you may have to supplement this with a Repti-Glow tube when your days are shorter.
Julie..
http://www.britishch...iagroup.org.uk/

#8 Guest_firefox_*

Guest_firefox_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2005 - 03:11 PM

Why would tiny tortoises need differetn conditions thatn bigger ones?

#9 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2005 - 03:36 PM

Hi Firefox,

Its not that they need different conditions, but as with any young, they are more delicate than an adult and cannot stand extremes of temps as well as a adult. You need to be more vigilant with hatchlings but their care is the same.
Hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users