* * * * * 1 votes

nest

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:33 PM

Egg's Well done I am eggcited for you!!!

#22 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:22 PM

My nails have only just grown back after Dawn's baby. Time to start chewing again wacko.gif

#23 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

Good luck!! Love the incubator- very ICU.

Now for the countdown for the eggs as well as the wind down- you'll be chasing your tail for a while hun! lol

xx

#24 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:21 PM

nice incubater whats it called? were did you get it and how much please..lol..

and if these 2 little guys hatch will you be keeping them? they be near little xmas babys awwwww..lol..

#25 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:16 PM

hi its an r com 20 pro.it is not mine its the guy i work for.think it cost him about 350!!!!i am not even trying to think about them hatching. the last eggs i got were all infertlie but theese do look a lot bigger.trying not to get my hopes up.they mite of been lying in my tort table all nite before i got to them. so i dont know if this will make any diffrence.but will keep them!!!!!!

#26 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (brucefairweather @ Oct 13 2009, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi its an r com 20 pro.it is not mine its the guy i work for.think it cost him about 350!!!!i am not even trying to think about them hatching. the last eggs i got were all infertlie but theese do look a lot bigger.trying not to get my hopes up.they mite of been lying in my tort table all nite before i got to them. so i dont know if this will make any diffrence.but will keep them!!!!!!

hi Bruce,i wouldnt be too concerned about them being left in the table overnight i found a hermans egg i had missed from a cluth layed in my greenhouse it was several days before i dug ut up.also found two clutches of graeca graeca eggs this year one clutch looked fresh and the other about a week old,different females.all these eggs hatched, so dont give up yet.make sure she is well hydrated and a good weight before you start winddown if you havent already.

just a thought if your boss breeds parrots does his incubator have an automatic turning facility because you will need to turn this off .
terry

#27 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

hi terry i have turned it of it happened once he told me it was of!!!it did move the egg a bit but it didnt turn it.hope this hasnt hurt it.thank you for all your help terry.mite need your help again closer the time.i will post pics of theese eggs and the ones i got in spring to see wot you think.thanks again cheers

#28 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:30 PM

here are a pic of new and old eggs.the ones on the left are my new ones and on the right the ones from spring.their is quite a bit of size diffrance.

Attached Files

#29 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:02 PM

Ooooooh, they are bigger aren't they?!!
Fingers sooooo tightly crossed!

Paula x

#30 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

i wish you the best of luck with these Bruce and feel free to ask any questions you think of .i just hope i can answer them.
terry

#31 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

how hard is it to tell if the eggs are fertlie?i havent touched them,but am dying to know if their is anything in them!!!!!thanks for reading

#32 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

Hi Bruce - this is fantastic news! I missed it all because I was away in France. Congratulations - this is very exciting and we are all wishing you and the lady all the best.

After a certain number of days the eggs chalk over if they are fertile and after that eventually you can 'candle' them to see whats inside but I think its too early for that yet.

If the female is a Testudo hermanni hermanni then two eggs is mainly what they lay. The Boetgerri lays more. Sorry in my excitement I cannot remember which subspecies she was.

Looks like you made a timely purchase!!

#33 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:20 PM

thanks jonathan.it wasnt my new one that layed.it was my other female.the eggs are only chalky in parts.she is eastern

#34 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:35 PM

Chalky in parts is good Bruce, I think the chalkiness spreads if things are going well inside. Most people keep the eggs incubating for quite a while on a kind of hopeful basis.

#35 Guest_x Carly x_*

Guest_x Carly x_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

Aww wow Bruce this is exciting!

I am new to this forum and haven't even got my little torts yet, and i know NOTHING about torts eggs and hatching but i wanted to say congratulations and i hope the torts hatch happy and healthy!!

Carly x

#36 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:09 PM

dose anyone know what hummidty the eggs needs to be?dose it need to be the same all the way through? thanks bruce

#37 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:03 AM

QUOTE (brucefairweather @ Oct 24 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dose anyone know what hummidty the eggs needs to be?dose it need to be the same all the way through? thanks bruce

hello Bruce 70% is what most people incubate hermans at but you need a good guage to read it with any real accuracy i now use a dial hair hygrometer from kimbo's reptile world at 14 its a good investment.for the time being place a pot full of water in the incubator this should keep humidity up enough so the eggs dont dehydrate.
terry

#38 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

i have just candled the eggs.one looks as if their isnt anything in it.the other seems to have a dark mass inside it!!!how big should the tort be at this stage?the mass only covers a small part of the egg.i am looking at dec 6th at the earlyist.tanks

#39 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

Sounds promising Bruce! Sorry I can't help but I'm sure Terry can and he usually keeps an eye on this forum.

#40 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:14 PM

Hi Bruce, when I had eggs the one that was totally dark inside was the one that hatched, whereas all the others just had small blobs in them and they didn't! Look on my post that I did of the candled eggs and you'll see what I mean. From quite early on the dark mass will fill the egg - don't know if you've got Wolfie's book but it shows some pics in there...

Keeping everything crossed for you mate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users