HIBERNATION DIARY..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

Ok, I'm going to start my wind-down at the beginning of November and hibernate at the beginning of December.

Between now and the beginning of November I will be reducing the torts food. I will also give them a 'dark' day once or twice a week.

This week, I will feed them every other day.

Their lights are on from 7.30am till 5.30pm.

Currently they are still active and eating although already they are all snuggled up asleep. They are definatley sleeping more now. Today they were all bathed and weighed. Here are their weights/lengths;

GRACE (F, '97) - W = 962g, L = 18cm
962 / 18 / 18 / 18 = 0.16 - Slightly light but her weight is very approx as scales are too small for her. She is otherwise fit & healthy.

TALLULAH (F, '99) - W = 736g, L= 16.5cm
736 / 16.5 / 16.5 / 16.6 = 0.16 - Same comments as Grace!

FRANK (M, '01) - W = 472g, L = 13.3cm
472 / 13.3 / 13.3 / 13.3 = 0.20 - Nice healthy weight.

ARCHIE (?M, '05) - W = 228g, L = 10.1cm
228 / 10.1 / 10.1 / 10.1 = 0.22 - Again, nice healthy weight.

TEEFA (?F, '07) - W = 154g, L = 9.3cm
154 / 9.3 / 9.3 / 9.3 = 0.19 - Nice and healthy.

All of them wee'd & poo'd during their baths and hadn't eaten since Friday. Both Grace & Tally are far too big for my scales and hang of the sides! So I am not concerned about their weigts at all. They all feel nice and heavy to hold. All 5 of them will be hibernated.

I will post again next week.

NB I am going to make this a sticky and also lock it as it is a guide as opoosed to a post (if you get my drift???) so you will not be able to post questions on here. I am going to see if we can have another forum made up just for hibernation so that all the posts can be kept together.

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

ok, just bathed and weighed my little ones, this time next week I will start starving them :(

GRACE - 1,002g = 0.17

TALLY - 766g = 0.17

FRANK - 511g = 0.21

ARCHIE - 244g = 0.23

TEEFA - 170g = 0.21

I'm really pleased with them as they have all put on weight over the last few weeks.

They are now on half their normal diet so will reduce right down again this week, I will also feed every other day. There lights will be on from 7am - 2pm (7hrs)
As this week goes on I will further reduce the amount of food they are having. The hours of daylight will stay the same.

The four weeks of starvation wind down will probably be done ;

week 1 - no food, 6 hours of heat/uv
week 2 - no food, 5 hours of heat/uv
week 3 - no food, 3 hours of heat/uv
final week - no food, 2 hours heat/uv reducing down to no heat/light provided no bowel movements.
The last couple of days I will move them into the utility room where hopefully with all heat turned of they will get used to the reduced temperature, finally resulting in them going in the fridge. style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Their baths will be increased over the next couple of weeks and in the final week I will bath them everyday, their last bath will be the day before they go in the fridge.

#3 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:02 PM

As MJ would say...This is it! My little ones had their last meal today, from tomorrow they will be 'starved' in prep for hibernation. We have today had a new little shelled one join the fold and he too will begin the hibernation process with my others :wub: (I will post some pics of him in a new post in the pic section in the next day or two)

Their lights will be on from 8am - 2pm.

Weights:

Grace - 1001g (0.17)
Tally - 761g (0.17)
Frank - 462g (0.19)
Harry - 302g (0.26)
Archie - 227g (0.22)
Teefa - 159 (0.19)

Watch this space....

#4 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

Hi all, well we are on our last week now. Have just bathed and weighed the tortoises. Here are their current weights...

Grace - 809g

Tally - 675g

Frank - 435g

Harry - 282g

Archie - 217g

Teefa - 145g

The girls in particular have lost quite a bit of weight on wind down, I am still going to hibernate them as they have been well over the summer eating lots and healthy. All the others are above 0.18, yet these two come out as below 0.16!!!

This week, I will keep the lights off and bath every day, and all being well and no evidence of poo they will go in the fridge next weekend.

#5 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:50 PM

Howdy! Sorry not been around much - life here is still blooming hectic with building work!! Anyhew!

Torts on last few days now, unfortunatly had to put date back as Harry poo'd on Sunday!!!! They have really slowed down now. They are in my utility room and the temps are around the 13 - 14 degrees mark. I also had to go out and buy new fridge on Saturday as the other one was too small for 6 torts!!! So they are now the proud owners of a new supadooper fridge!

Bathing them every day now, and hoping to put them in fridge when I'm of Thursday afternoon.....lol! Watch this space!!!! Summits bound to go wrong!!!! Haven't weighed them this week if Im honest, but they are all fine and in good health. Will weigh them before they go in fridge.

Really gonna miss the guys!!!! :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users