- - - - -

HELP! Which one: Hermanns or Horsfield???

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_x Carly x_*

Guest_x Carly x_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:42 PM

I am new to this forum and i am hoping to get a new tortoise in the next few months. I have had a custom build tortoise table made, and i am hoping to get 2 tortoises. Trouble is, ive done loads of research on tortoises, on different species and their needs. However now that i am getting round to buying one i dont know which species to get??? Hermann or horsefield?????????????

Is there much of a difference? In your opinion is one species better than the other? I am hoping to get a male and female tortoise so that in the future can breed them. I am 100% confused as to which tortoise to get, and would greatley appreciate peoples opinions and facts on the different tortoises. Are their heat and UVB needs the same? Do they need different substrates, food?

Thank you very much!

Also, could you all please add in a P.S What your tortoises names are?

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

Hi Carly, welcome to the forum. :D

Tiz a difficult choice, I received my 1st tort (Hermanns) as a 40th birthday present, loved her so much and got totally hooked!
I now have 3, their names are Hettie (woo), Bailey and Boo! As I'm sure you know, different species should not be kept together, so my little ones are Hermanns too. They are all such different characters, but all beautiful! :wub:

The Dwarf Hermanns you mention in your other post are far more difficult to get hold of.... but not impossible,
we have a regular forum visitor (yes you Oz :D ) who keeps them.

Paula x

#3 Guest_x Carly x_*

Guest_x Carly x_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:22 PM

Thank you very much Paula! Its strange because horsfields and hermanns are very similar and yet im having the hardest time deciding on which species! If you get chance id love to see a picture of your 3 hermanns! :-)

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:31 PM

Any chance to show my babies off!! :D

The two little ones are from Darran who is this forum's boss man, lots of us on here have his babies and are therefore 'tortlated'. :rolleyes:

Paula x

#5 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

paula how old is hettie? hrmann al the way!!!

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:37 PM

Hi Bruce,

Princess Hettie Hermann is an '04 hatchling. :wub:

Paula x

#7 Guest_x Carly x_*

Guest_x Carly x_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:37 PM

sOO CUTE!!!!!! deffinatley decided on a hermanns i think! How could i perhaps get in touch with Darran? I want 2 babies around nov.dec time?

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:53 PM

Just under the heading at the top of the page 'my hermann tortoises' on the right, click members and type in Darran (an, not en!) and send him a private message, he's probably watching right now, he has eyes everywhere you know, him being in charge and all that! :D ... oh errrr hello Darran. :P

Paula x

#9 Guest_x Carly x_*

Guest_x Carly x_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:14 PM

I have sent him a message (i think?!) hopefully he will reply! Its frustrating as as soon as you've decided its time to get one, you get all excited and cant wait to get the little fellas lol! I just want to get them now xx

#10 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

Right then, while your waiting you could practice identifying weeds for the little chaps! When you are out and about see what you can identify..... and then try and remember where you saw it! :D

Paula x

#11 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

There's not too much difference between Horsefields and Hermanns (I like the markings best on the Hermanns) The Horsefields tend to burrow in the ground more and can go a long way. Although Hermanns also burrow they don't go so far down or for as far. In the wild I believe Horsefields eat as much as they can, when they can, and then go into a sort of hibernation when it gets very hot, as well as in the winter. The problem this can cause in this country is they eat as much as they can before it gets really hot (which it seldom does), so you have to be careful not to overfeed.
Spur-thighed is another similar species, which you don't see so much of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users