all ready (almost)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

well ive been talking to Boris, Betty and Boop all week telling them they better be good and eat all there greens and get ready for the big sleep,

ive bought my larder fridge it gets delivered friday and ive just ordered the thermomter comes with a alarm if it goes below the set temp so i cant go wrong with that (i hope.lol) ive just seen some boxes aswell but they only had 1 in so going to wait till the end of the week when they get more in and buy the three together, i have shredded paper at the ready to fill the boxes, going to torment dawn with some questions via pm ragarding my torts/hibernation and i think thats it were are ready OMG :blink:

so checklist

larder fridge check

thermometer check

boxes check

shredded paper check

digi scales check

Boris, Betty and Boop (i think ill need these..lol) defo check

have i missed anything?? are you all ready?

oh my gawd its very very nerve racking and i havent even started the wind down yet im hoping i can avoid them little feed me eyes when i have to starve them..lol..
_____________________________________________________updated 18th oct

well thats it i have got everything all i need to do now is work out when to start the wind down my fridge is set up in the bedroom along with the thermometer will start to reduce food a tad next month i think or next week..lol..

#2 Guest_x Carly x_*

Guest_x Carly x_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:46 PM

Hello!

I am a tort newbie (havn't even got mine yet) and im afraid no very little about hibernation (altho i have ordered a book so i can learn all about it before my 2 torts arrive)

I would like to ask you a question though:

I am gettin my torts in Nov, and i see all over this forum people getting ready to hibernate. Well now im wondering will my hatchlings need hibernating virtually as soon as i get them? Or are hatchlings to young to hibernate? is there an age limit?

Its all very confusing! lol

Good look with your hibernation! Hope all three torts have a happy and healthy hibernation!

Carly xx

#3 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:37 PM

crumbs ya so organised!! I am so behind!!. Where did ya get your fridge from and how much was it?

Also may seem a silly question but.......... Does the fridge have to be in a quiet room for them to sleep?? We dont have many of those, so it may have to come in our bedroom!!!!! :wacko: If noise is no problem it can probably be squeezed into the kitchen next to the piano!!!.... Get my drift!

#4 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:45 PM

hiya carly :)

i too am a new tortoise owner and this is our first hibernation (the torts not me..lol) we have had Boris and Betty since june and Boop came along end of july early august, they were hatched in 08 so roughly a year old.

im hibernating them because i feel i have had them long enough to get to know there daily routine and habits and i know there fit and healthy so see no reason not to allow them what they would do if they were in the wild (lol a dawn phrase)..

personally if i was getting mine in november i would not hibernate this year because i wouldnt have the time to get to know the lil tort and be sure he /she is ok for the big sleep and healthy, BUT if you are getting your tort from a great breeder then i would seek there advise as they would of course know all about the lil guy.

it is confusing infact everything from food to housing to hibernation you will be questioning yourself over and over again..lol.. books contradict themselves so do all the websites when you search for something go with your gut and of course the ppl on here are great to bounce questions and ideas off on ;)

good luck for the homecoming of your lil guys and pictures we like piccies..lol

#5 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:50 PM

hiya markf

here is my fridge from argos http://www.argos.co......xt>FRIDGE.htm

had to flutter me eyes loads at the husband to get it pmsl.. (he mumbles bloomin fridge for the tortoises bah)

my fridge is going in our bedroom..LOL.. reason is there is nowere else it will fit and the kids cant mess around with it ie:forgetting its not the food fridge and shoving stuff in it ..lol...

as for being next to a piano..LOL.. if i remeber right there hearing is not meant to be that good anyway lol

#6 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:47 PM

I wouldn't hibernate a tortoise that I'd just got, so I'd over-winter them this year if I were you.

#7 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

I have done!!! :rolleyes: Got Tally in the september, hibernated her in the november, got Archie & Teefa in the November & hibernated them in the january!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users