multicoloured food

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ammej_*

Guest_ammej_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:18 PM

ammej!!!

y shouldnt i feed my tortoises the ulticoloured food???

#2 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:53 AM

Because its very high in protein which is bad for torts. It will have long term health effects and ultimately lead to metabolic bone disease. There are articles regarding pellets on www.tortoisetrust.org

#3 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:36 PM

Who recommended you should use them Jemma? Are you buying your torts from a reputable breeder? Russians thrive being outdoors rather than in, do you have your enclosure ready or would you like some suggestions?

#4 Guest_ammej_*

Guest_ammej_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:31 PM

ammej!!!

Yes some suggestions would be great although i have got a run (an old rabbit run) for outside untill they get a bit older.

thanx
jemma

#5 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:24 PM

Hi Jemma,

That probably wont be enough to keep a russian in, even a baby :-)
You need to make your enclosure as large as you can, you will have to line to bottom, and the sides with wire mesh, or they WILL dig their way out. Try to make it as deep as you can as they love to dig and need plenty soil. Then fill it with a 50/50 mix of top soil and play sand. You can then add plants (make sure their safe for your tort) and bridges to hide under, rocks and stones to keep their nails short. Try and make it as interesting as possible, with plants to break up the landscape. Dont put anything in the corners tho, they will use it as a ladder to escape.
I will mail you off list with a picture of mine, it might help you.
Also grass is no good as a permanent substrate for russians, it holds moisture and can cause shell rot. I've had trouble e-mailing with attachments from here, could you mail me on JoanneNUFC666@aol.com and I will reply enclosing the pictures.
Hope this helps

#6 Guest_Libbys_*

Guest_Libbys_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2005 - 05:48 PM

Feed what it would get in the wild and ditch the multi food think wild if it isnt in the wild then dont give.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users