Male Or Female? I Am Confused!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_x Carly x_*

Guest_x Carly x_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

I would like a few things clearing up, when i first wanted torts i wanted 1 male and 1 female.

I was told 1 male and 1 female is a bad idea as when they mature they male will always hassle the female, so you generally need 3 females to one male?
Is this correct?

And i know you can't have 2 males because they can get territorial and fight, so that left me with the two girls option...

However i am confused because you can only guess the sexes based on incubation temps, and you can't sex them untill they are a larger size (4-5yrs old)

BUT if you can't be sure of the sex, then how do you know your not getting 2 males, or a male and a female?

Just curious as i originally (before i knew about the sexing thing) wanted a male and female?

Thanks
By: That girl Carly who always asks dumb questions lol! xx

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:10 PM

hi carly,i have three males and two females.the males seem to get on but one of my males is always bullying the females.i have split them up now and he only gets in with them for a while now and again.

#3 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:00 AM

I have one def male and two def females, not 100% sure of the sex of the younger two yet. I have no problem with this mix. As long as your enclosure is big enough for them to get away from each other it should be fine. Also if you are getting a pair as hatchlings they will grow together and pecking order will be established early on. Torts don't sexually mature for years so if you are getting hatchlings it's an issue you don't need to worry about just yet! (You've got 'issues' like hibernation to worry bout first!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

#4 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:37 PM

Unfortunately I have 2 males that fight, they have to live separate, one will be looking for a new home after hibernation.

#5 Guest_kaybee_*

Guest_kaybee_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:29 PM

Oh Kay thats such a shame :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users