What tortoise?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hbejb_*

Guest_hbejb_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

Hello!

I have this 6-years old female tortoise. She is 19cm and 1440g.
I would like to know what specie she is, could someon possibly help?
Here is some PICTURES

Thank you!

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

I'm guessing its a hermanns boetgerri (THB). Can't see any spurs so not a spur thigh, to big for a hermani....the only close contender I think is the gracia (TGG)...but looking at comparisons of the two I'd hedge with Boetgerri.... Terry(pin) has TGG's so maybe he might be able to say for sure.....

#3 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Oct 26 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm guessing its a hermanns boetgerri (THB). Can't see any spurs so not a spur thigh, to big for a hermani....the only close contender I think is the gracia (TGG)...but looking at comparisons of the two I'd hedge with Boetgerri.... Terry(pin) has TGG's so maybe he might be able to say for sure.....

hi Dawn im sorry i thought i had already replied must have lost my computer link at the crucial moment again.im going with spurthighed most definately not hermans and im leaning towards ibera.as i dont breed these i dont really have much experience with youngsters.the plastral scutes appear like ibera and unlike any of my graeca graeca im just not 100% on the head shape sorry,definately not hermans though.
terry

#4 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (terrypin @ Nov 1 2009, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi Dawn im sorry i thought i had already replied must have lost my computer link at the crucial moment again.im going with spurthighed most definately not hermans and im leaning towards ibera.as i dont breed these i dont really have much experience with youngsters.the plastral scutes appear like ibera and unlike any of my graeca graeca im just not 100% on the head shape sorry,definately not hermans though.
terry

What makes you think it's not a THB? Are there any particular marks that tell you this? Also I couldn't see the spurs hence why I didn't think it was a spur... looking at different photo's of how to ID the one that seemed to tick most of the boxes was a THB - Im intrigued now..... lol....

#5 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Nov 1 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What makes you think it's not a THB? Are there any particular marks that tell you this? Also I couldn't see the spurs hence why I didn't think it was a spur... looking at different photo's of how to ID the one that seemed to tick most of the boxes was a THB - Im intrigued now..... lol....

hi Dawn if you look at the picture of the rear of this tortoise you can see immature spurs and of course there is no horny tip to the tail.the thb normally has the plastral markings in two broken bands running down either side of the plastron some are more heavily marked than others in fact almost as heavily as hermanni hermanni which as im sure you know have continuous heavy markings down either side of the plastron.this is a picture of one of my thb to show fairly light markings and you can just see her horny tail tip.turn one of yours over you will see what i mean.
terry

#6 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

Ahhhh, now in my defence....when I looked at the photo's pic 4 wasn't on there, (in fact there was a couple that wasn't on there when I looked!) but yes, in pic 4 you can clearly see the spurs!!!! Had I of seen this I wouldn't have dismissed the spurthigh so quickly....(or maybe I just had one too many vino's and my vision was somewhat blurred!!!!!! LOL!!!!) rolleyes.gif

I bow to your superior knowledge oh great one!!! wub.gif

#7 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (hbejb @ Oct 26 2009, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello!

I have this 6-years old female tortoise. She is 19cm and 1440g.
I would like to know what specie she is, could someon possibly help?
Here is some PICTURES

Thank you!

I would say it's a Testudo graeca ibera.
Definately not any of the hermanni species.
Hope this helps
Sue

#8 Guest_Val_*

Guest_Val_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (wizzasmum @ Nov 16 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would say it's a Testudo graeca ibera.
Definately not any of the hermanni species.
Hope this helps
Sue

Welcome back Sue.

rolleyes.gif

Val

#9 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (Val @ Nov 17 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome back Sue.

rolleyes.gif