Nabot the tiny two year old

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:14 PM

Here's a wee photo of tiny Nabot who is over two years old an dnow weighs a massive 29 grammes! He's doubled his weight in the past year and has been eating like a horse all summer (well a fairly small horse at least).

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

Awwww, he is gorgeous!! :wub:
We do love a picture of the little chaps! :D

Will he be hibernating this year Oz?

Paula x

#3 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

Awwwwwwww!!!! :wub: Sooooooooooooooooooooo cute!

He's really small!!! Is there a reason for that? Just like my little Ruby used to be!

#4 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:55 PM

wow! hes great.what sort of weight is an adult thh?

#5 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:26 AM

Bruce I had a quick look at a book and for Corsian THH tortoises the females when adults are reckoned to be between 580 to 1200 grammes and length usually 15-19 cm. I belive a 1KG THH would be really quite a big one. It seems the French mainland ones are a bit smaller. I think for an adult about 500g is probably typical with males not often going bigger. I've got a six year old that is 125 grammes but as we know they vary a lot.

This little tortoise was 15g when I got him and he was already over a year old and had hibernated for 4 months. A wee scrap of a thing you might say. I didn't hibernate that one last winter but I probably will this time if things continue to go well for the next month or so. The person who bred that tortoise would not have agreed with what I did, keeping that tortoise up, but I was terrified it would just die and at that point I only had it a month or so.

Some very small hatchlings just don't grow and these poor things are not able to survive. They have some kind of metabolic growth disorder and nothing can be done for them. This one I think just started out really tiny but has grown steadily and does all the usual things. In the summer when my tortoises were outside that one was the boldest of all and would range far and wide in the enclosure whilst its bigger friends lounged around in the coldframe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users