hibernation fridge

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_grahame_*

Guest_grahame_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:04 PM

Hi all

does anyone know where i can buy one of those "drinks coolers" as the fridge i have been using to hibernate my tort has died of old age.

regards grahame

#2 Guest_clairekentuk_*

Guest_clairekentuk_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:46 PM

I saw a couple on ebuyer

http://www.ebuyer.co...n...mVzdWx0cw==

also seen in woolworths from time to time.

Claire

#3 Guest_grahame_*

Guest_grahame_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:17 AM

thanks claire

#4 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:48 PM

Hello Graham
You get what you pay for, a good fridge without a freezer compartment called a larder fridge is as good, but get a good one.
Arnie

#5 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:56 PM

Hello Grahame
Just found this and there is a section about fridge hibernation on this web site
http://www.thetortoisehouse.com/
Arnie

#6 Guest_grahame_*

Guest_grahame_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:18 AM

thanks Arnie

very interesting

#7 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:37 PM

I've been looking at one of these fridges today, as a local shop has one on sale. They're made by Husky Products, and the website is www.itsbestdirect.com, and if you click on products you see the Husky drinks chillers. They cost about 139, but if you click on the "BGrade Personal Drinks Chiller" these are the same products, but a bit scratched (or other minor damage) and they are half price. It says their temperature range is 4 - 10 degrees centigrade. And of course they're not as big as a regular fridge, which is great if, like me, you don't have a lot of space.

This next bit has nothing to do with drinks fridges, but I posted a question a week or two ago about my little Russian tortoise eating gravel. One person said their tortoise ate gravel at first but then stopped. But Boris has got worse. If he is near gravel (or small gravel sized pieces of glass, plastic, etc.)he eats them. And he spends literally hours biting at the edges of bricks or large stones. His beak is even beginning to get worn down now. He's about two years old (I've only had him for three weeks), has calcium powder on every meal and cuttlefish bone available (plus also powdered on food). He eats well (weeds, flowers, etc.) and has an indoor table and a nice outdoor enclosure with sand and loam areas, and paved areas, plus shelter, plants, etc. There is no gravel in this enclosure (I carefully sifted everything to exclude it), which is about six feet by five feet square, but if I put him in the garden for a bigger wander he heads straight for gravel and small stones, and in his enclosure he spends a lot of time biting the edges of the paving (he particularly likes bits of mortar stuck on bricks). Could this just be a bad habit? I can't think his diet is lacking in anything, but I'm afraid he's going to wear down his beak and get impacted. Sorry to go on, but I'm getting worried.
Nina

#8 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2005 - 06:18 AM

Hello Nina
Some tortoise do consistently eat stones and they can become impacted so best to clear any large ones out of his way, I know thats a chore but best be safe tha sorry. most will pass through naturally.
You never mentioned what addatives you are giving him, He needs lime stone flour or calcium and a good vitamin supplement fed on a 7/3 ratio, 7 parts lime/calcium and 3 parts vitamins sprinkled daily on the food, (a light dusting) too much and the tortoise won't eat his food.
Then get some Cuttle fish that you give birds and put a couple around his enclosure
Let us know what happens
Arnie

#9 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2005 - 07:33 AM

Thanks Arnie, that's reassuring (but I still don't understand why he spends hours biting the edge of bricks and paving stones -- can he wear his beak down too much doing that?).

He has limestone flour sprinkled on his first meal every day, and cuttlefish bone grated on food later in the day (plus I leave the cuttlefish bone in his enclosure -- once I fooled him into biting that instead of a brick, but he got wise to my trick and and never bit it again). Once or twice a week I also sprinkle Tortoise Dust (made by T-Rex) on his food (it's a nutritional supplement), and once a week the tiniest pinch of Nutrobal (I know it's possible to overdose with this so I'm careful with it). He seems to have a hearty appetite (when he's not biting bricks). He weighs about 105 gms and is around 70mm long.

One further question. Do they ever eat their own poo? I noticed some poo on a paving stone in his enclosure yesterday, and when I went to remove it twenty minutes later it had disappeared (he has plenty of other food in his enclosure).

Nina

#10 Guest_grahame_*

Guest_grahame_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:10 AM

thanks Nina
i will check out that website today

re. Boris.
What was his diet before you got him? I'm no expert but As you've only had him for three weeks, maybe his new diet has not started to affect him yet, it may take a couple of months before a correct diet takes effect.
regards grahame

#11 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:35 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-07-05 AT 07:00 AM (GMT) by tortoise_mad (admin)]Hi Nina,

Torts quite often eat small stones in the wild, normally white ones and they usually contain calcium. Perhaps he has been lacking and is trying to make up for it...just a thought.
Keep up with the nutrobal/limestone flour/cuttlefish.
How much food are you giving him? He really only needs feeding once a day, and if he has lots of plants to nibble on in his enclosure, only give him a small amount in order to give him his calcium.
Eating their own poo can be a sign that they are lacking in some kind of mineral, its very common for hatchlings to do this, and as long as he hasnt got worms, I wouldnt worry about it too much, altho it is gross
Hope this helps a bit

#12 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:48 PM

Thanks to both Grahame and Jo. I don't know how long he had been in the pet shop before I bought him, but the food there was lettuce, cucumber, and those dry totroise pellets (a very bad diet, I know!). So maybe, as you say, it will take a little while for the better diet to take effect.

And it is the white stones that he goes for (and once a small piece of white polystyrene that looked like a stone). And yes, I think I'm probably giving him too much food (it's a weakness that I have to cure). The plants that are growing in his enclosure are sedums mainly (which he does like), so several times a day I give him dandelions, plantain, flowers (rose petals, nasturtiums, abutilon, hosta) etc. I read somewhere (it might have been in one of Jo's messages on this site) that you should only feed them enough leaves, etc. to make a little coat to fit over them. Well, Boris probably has that, and enough left over to make a spring outfit! I know I'm not doing him any favours, so I promise to cut down.

I haven't taken him to the vet yet (there aren't any on the approved list that are in my area -- Oxford), so I don't know if he has worms (athough I gather that he probably will have them). I haven't seen any worms in his poo. Are there any symptoms I should look out for? He seems so small to have a tube put down his throat that I guess I'm just a bit hesitant.

Thanks again so much for your help.
Nina

#13 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:46 AM

Hi Nina,

To keep his shell nice and smooth, you really do need to cut his food down, just a leafy jacket amount, be a tough Mam :-)
If you contact www.tortoisetrust.org they have a more extensive vets list. Join the TT and ask the members, someone will know a reputable vet you can use.
Whats his poo like (gross question I know ) is it firm and dark?
Does it have a slimy outer covering? Is it runny?
I ask the nicest questions

#14 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:32 PM

Hi Jo,

Thanks for the advice. I did join the BATK the other week, because they had an open day in a town near me, where they gave a talk and you could bring your tortoise to be weighed and measured (Boris was too small their measuring scale, but they said he looked fine). Maybe they know of a local vet. And I've just now joined the Tortoise Trust online.

I'm a bit worried about his poo (or lack of it). Until this week it was fine: he pooed once or twice a day, in his indoor area, and it was easy to spot. It was firm and dark greeny-brown (more dark brown than green). But this week he's been in his outdoor area, and I haven't seen anything, except the poo two days ago that disappeared before I could clean it up. And I haven't seen him wee either (but it's been so hot that that would have dried up quickly). I haven't been around all day though, so I have been assuming that he has peed and pooed but it's dried up and got covered in the loam and sand that covers half his outdoor enclosure. I plan to sit with him for most of tomorrow and see what I can see (and worry if I don't see anything).
Nina

#15 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:50 AM

Hi Nina,

The BATK make me go ARGHHHHHHHHH !!!!
Sorry, but these tort meetings where everyone takes differenct species along and pathogens are flying all over drive me insane !! It not your fault, its theirs, they know all about keeping seperate species apart but dont seem to listen. However, buy yourself a cheap pair of scale, Argos sell digi scales for about 15-00, and measure him in grammes, do it monthly and you will see his weight gain.
Dont bother asking the BATK, now your on the TT site, put a post out asking for the best vet in your area.
Try popping Boris in the bath with warm water, quite often this stimulates them to going to the loo, 3 or 4 baths a week is a good idea anyway.
Hope this helps :-)

#16 Guest_Katrin4711_*

Guest_Katrin4711_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:59 AM

Hi,

I went to the BATK meeting recently and I didn't think it was soooo bad. O.k. there were a few opinions I didn't agree with but I got some really good information. My torts stayed at home because I didn't want to stress them. Overall it was very interesting. My children loved to watch the tortoises there.

Katrin

#17 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2005 - 10:55 AM

Hi Karin,

It was very sensible of you to leave the tort at home. Germs passed from one species to another can be fatal. Communal tort meetings where members take their torts along are a receipe for disaster :-(
What one species is immune too, can kill another species. They would not mingle together in the wild, therefore it shouldnt be done in captivity. I know keepers who have lost whole collections of torts thro cross-contamination and these meetings are a breeding ground for them. Make sure you and your children wash your hands thoroughly before handling your tort, it is so easily done.
Did you learn anything new there?:-)

#18 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:53 AM

Hi Jo,
I've seen the error of my ways. Although I didn't touch any other tortoises at the meeting, and Boris stayed in his box, the people who were weighing and measuring all of the tortoises did not wash their hands in between handling each tortoise, and I can certainly see why the whole idea of all of these different tortoises in one place is a bad idea.

I did give Boris his bath and about ten minutes later he had an enormous poo, which was firm and very dark brown/green in colour. So he seems fine (although none of that gravel he has eaten (about pea size) seems to have passed through yet).

Nina

#19 Guest_slowcoach_*

Guest_slowcoach_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2005 - 08:04 PM

Hi,
I recently joined our local Tortoise Trust in Hampshire - you are not encouraged to take your torts, nor handle any brought for demo purposes -

Re the gravel eating question - my 2 3yr olds are always doing it even though they have supplements (cuttlefish,limestone flour and nutrabol) it was suggested I make limestone pebbles and leave for them to find - I did and they do eat them..... I try to make sure the area they are allowed in has all stones are too big for them to eat - but you can't alway find them all - I have noticed when they poo there are small stones being passed -

Karen L :-)

#20 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:30 PM

Hi Karen,
That's a relief - I was beginning to think that Boris had a unique problem! When you say you "make" limestone pebbles, do you mean that you mix the limestone flour with water and make them? That sounds like a great idea. Boris's main area doesn't really have any little pebbles (I've sifted them out), but I do like to take him out into the garden for more exercise (he races across the grass), and that's where he finds countless pebbles. He also loves biting the edge of bricks and paving stones, so he has ambitions beyond pebbles!
Nina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users