hibernation fridge advice..?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_avons82_*

Guest_avons82_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

hello!

im a virgin-tort keeper and its his first time hibernating so im very anxious (to say the least!) just wondering about fridges.... I need to buy one and I heard a larder fridge is the best, but i would need an external thermometer wouldnt i?

my collegue suggested a wine chiller as they come with a digital thermostat where you can set and regulate the temperature... would this be an option...?

any help / advice / suggestions would be great! thanks! : ) xxxx

#2 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

Some people have used wine chillers, but some have found it's difficult to keep the temperature stable. I think some only go down to 10 degrees.
A larder fridge is best and I don't think there's much different in price. Some keep the fridge in the bedroom if they haven't got enough room in the kitchen. Keeping them in the garage isn't a good idea, because if the temperature outside the fridge goes lower than the temp inside, the fridge won't work properly.
To make the fridge work efficiently you need to use all the fridge space, so can use it as an extra cupboard with tins, fruit juice or bottles of water, beer or wine,to use up the extra space. In fact I think Paula and Dawn have trouble fitting the torts in between the wine and beer. :P

#3 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

Hi Amey. I reckon a larder fridge is best but I do very well with a 'drinks' small fridge. There are a few different ones of those and some might not be any use but the Husky one I use is good. Its a Stella Beer fridge (handy in summer for beer use!).

I did hear some folks couldn't get a low enough temp with the wine coolers and really I don't think that type has any advanatges.

I use a digital thermometer with a probe at the end of a wire and and wire slips through the door seal no problem. I have the digital readout bit on top of the fridge which is handy for anxious checking! Its just a thin bit of wire and this does not cause me to loose cool air out of the fridge. The thermometer I got is calibrated which means it was tested and has a wee certificate but this isn't necessary. Its a doddle to calibrate your own thermometer (and a lot cheaper). There are loads of digital ones with probes around that cost less than 10 and work well. The one I got has a max and min function that can be re-set and I think this is very useful as I can see at a glance the lowest and highest temps that took place - ideal for when I'm getting the thing settled down.

The smaller the fridge the more the temp inside it might fluctuate as a result of changes in external temps. I think its best to have the fridge in a room that is reasonably warm, as in a room that is in general human use. This is what a domestic fridge is basically designed to do. Some keepers do have their fridge in a garage but this might mean they have to heat the garage in very cold weather so the fridge actually works properly.

Although my fridge is a small one I don't have any trouble maintaining a temp which is stable even with the central heating coming on etc. This is where your bottles of water (or beer!!) come in handy. They are a ballast that evens out the fluctuations because the mass of water or beer tries to stay at the temperature that it is at. Air doesn't have this ability. I decided it might be a bit silly for me to have a whole big larder fridge with a few little tortoises sitting in it.

#4 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:39 PM

hI,
i'M HIBERNATING MY TORT FOR THE FIRST TIME AND VERY ANXIOUS,I'M GOING FROM DAWN'S HIBERNATION DIARY,AND ALSO BOUGHT A TABLETOP FRIDGE WHICH IS WAITING FOR HIM ALREADY WITH HIS BOX ,BOTTLES OF WATER AND HIS DIGITAL TEMPERATURE PROBE WHICH SOUNDS LIKE OZRIC'S,SO I WILL BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT THE TEMPS ARE OF THE INSIDE OF HIS BOX.
jAY AND H

#5 Guest_avons82_*

Guest_avons82_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:18 PM

Hi, thanks for your advice / help....

Id much prefer to get a smaller drinks fridge, like the Stella ones, but ive seen a lot of people recommending against them...?

Do you know what the digital thermometer / probe is called? Ive never come across one before...

thanks! :wub:

#6 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

It's a digit6al fridge thermometer.
It is magnetised and sticks to the side of the fridge with the probe on a long wire which goes into the fridge. Have a look on yahoo or google. Thermometers direct do them, so do e bay and maybe you can get them in a hardware shop. You can get them with an alarm which goes off if the temperature rises or falls too much.

#7 Guest_avons82_*

Guest_avons82_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

wow thanks, ill get onto the case and get one asap!
:rolleyes:

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

Hi Amey,

I've ordered one of these;
http://www.kimbosrep...meter-p-31.html

It hasn't arrived yet... hope it's not long!!

It was recommended in a recent post... sorry chaps, can't remember who wrote it! blush.gif

Paula x

#9 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

O well, my boys are now in Hibernation the Girlie's still going, but have now slowed down. The boys are boxed up. (Cerys) my youngest cried she thought they were going for ever!!!!!!

#10 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:21 PM

Well done you, keep us informed of their progress....

#11 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

IF I CATCH ANYONE DISRESPECTING MY HUSKY (HUS-HM4) STELLA BEER FRIDGE (50 LITRES CAPACITY AND 75WATT POWER) THEY ARE GOING TO BE VERY SORRY. THIS FRIDGE DOES A GREAT JOB AND CAN EASILY HOLD A STEADY 5C NO PROBLEM. PS I DON'T WORK FOR THEM!!!

#12 Guest_avons82_*

Guest_avons82_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:59 AM

ive read somewhere that if you use a fridge with a glass front you have to provide extra insulation on the front.. do you do that with yours??

sorry for all these questions! :unsure: just want to get it right!

#13 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

I don't think there's a problem with the glass front, except people tend to cover them as light is constantly going in and may disturb the tort.
I couldn't think for a minute who'd been disrespecting Ozric's dog (Husky) then Irealised you meant the fridge. LOL. :laugh: p.s most people cannot let them off the lead once they reach adulthood as they run and run and run and hunt! :ohmy:

#14 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:39 PM

Hi again. That's reminded me about the insulation for the front which I have not used. I guess might reduce the amount of work the fridge has to do to keep the temp down. I don't think my tortoises have been disturbed by any light getting in. Maybe I'll try some bubble wrap inside the front.

I keep my fridge in a room which is probably about 18C most of the time and as I say it performs very well. It is 'working' every so often for a few minutes then it's at peace again. Its certainly not struggling to maintain the temp I want in there.

The temp within the fridge does vary a bit, high up is colder and nearer the back is colder too. I think this is the case with most. I have a probe inside the plastic box (with holes of course) that the tort hibernates in to get as close as I can.

I'm not a dog lover myself but I did once come across some huskies when I was camping in Aviemore. The people had a whole team of them and they were doing summer sledging around the area, they had a sledge with wheels. I have to say the huskies were beautiful animals. The family that kept them exlplained there is a kind of team spirit and although they were safe dogs, they were not that bothered to get attention from the humans.

#15 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:59 PM

has anyone bought one of those fridge thermometors on the high street?

I just want to get it and start getting the fridge ready.

thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users