Too Late?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kila_*

Guest_Kila_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

Hi all,

I think I may have left it too late to hibernate my tortoise Maya. I'm so silly for letting the time pass.

I got her last November and didn't put her down because I wanted to see what type of health she was in.

She's in great shape and would be fine to go down but my question is; have I left it too late?

I was reading through the Tortoise Trust website and it recommends 6-8 weeks of a wind down before hibernation. I haven't even started yet. That would mean she wouldn't hibernate until December. Would that be ok?

Here are her details:
Hatched 2005 (according to her certificate)
Weight: 377grams
Length: 12cm
Jackson's Ratio: 0.22

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:13 PM

its not to late.i have just started my wind down.

#3 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

Hi,
I'm going from Dawn's hibernation diary but i have also read that others have not started yet so its not too late, 8 weeks i have been told min even though i had read 6-8 weeks,have a look at Dawn's hibernation diary she's great!!
Jay and H

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:19 PM

Hello there,

Nope, tisn't too late to start wind down. I want my little guys to sleep mid December until mid February... later if all goes well. Using the wind down guide, in the hibernation section, at the top of the page here will also help you decide.
I am trying to time it so the little chaps go into the fridge together. I will start Hettie's wind down in 2 weeks and the babies (07) a little later.

Paula x

#5 Guest_Kila_*

Guest_Kila_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.
The wind down has begun.

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

Hello again,

I have just re read your post.... you say the wind down period is 6-8 weeks, is this right? I am also a hibernation novice, but I have only read of 4 week wind downs before. I had a look at the tortoise trust website and found this;
http://www.tortoiset...s/induction.htm
If Maya is 377g according to this a 6-8 week wind down would be far too long.

Paula x

#7 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:24 PM

Hmmmm, I've never heard of winding down for 6-8 weeks either...are you sure you read this right? Maybe they said to hibernate for 6 -8 weeks (though I was always told to hibernate for a minimum of 8 weeks)

#8 Guest_Kila_*

Guest_Kila_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:29 PM

Sorry guys, my mistake. It actually read 4-6 weeks.
Thanks for all of your help.

Tortoise Trust Website:
" A tortoise's digestive system is governed to a great extent by temperature, but generally speaking, when the animal's biological processes are slowing down it takes between 4-6 weeks for the food last consumed to pass completely through the gastro-intestinal tract. In other words, do not attempt to hibernate any tortoise if it has eaten within the last month to six weeks. Delay hibernation rather than allow a tortoise to hibernate while the possibility of undigested food matter within the intestine remains."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users