Baby spur thighed tortoise advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_LeanneW_*

Guest_LeanneW_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

Hello everyone,
Yesterday I brought a one year old spur thighed tortoise, I've never owned one before so there are a few things I just want to check are normal behaviour.

In the morning once he was awake he sat under his heat lamp for quite a while, not really moving much, I presume he is just warming up for the day, and that this is normal? Also, he does move around the enclosure a lot, but in the same circle, is this normal as well? Im going out this afternoon to but some rocks and more interesting things for his vivarium so maybe that will stop it??

Also, a couple of times when I have gone to pick him up he has pulled his head and front legs in and makes a sort of hiss noise? not sure if thats normal either, should I let him get used to his enclosure for a while? I know that his breeder handled him quite a lot so i thought he would be used to it.

Any advice would be lovely

thank you

Leanne

#2 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:39 PM

Everything sounds normal. They do spend quite a lot of time under the heat lamp at this time of year. It will take him a little while to settle in and to get used to you and your voice. The hissing noise is the air releasing from his diaphram as he quickly pulls his head in.

#3 Guest_TPG_*

Guest_TPG_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:27 PM

Hi Leanne,

Here are some care sheets which may prove helpful:-

http://www.tortoise-...uk/site/122.asp

HTH
Kindest Regards
Darren

QUOTE (LeanneW @ Nov 9 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello everyone,
Yesterday I brought a one year old spur thighed tortoise, I've never owned one before so there are a few things I just want to check are normal behaviour.

In the morning once he was awake he sat under his heat lamp for quite a while, not really moving much, I presume he is just warming up for the day, and that this is normal? Also, he does move around the enclosure a lot, but in the same circle, is this normal as well? Im going out this afternoon to but some rocks and more interesting things for his vivarium so maybe that will stop it??

Also, a couple of times when I have gone to pick him up he has pulled his head and front legs in and makes a sort of hiss noise? not sure if thats normal either, should I let him get used to his enclosure for a while? I know that his breeder handled him quite a lot so i thought he would be used to it.

Any advice would be lovely

thank you

Leanne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users