humidity in fridge...??

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:11 PM

so spraying the soil has helped with this??

#22 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

Hi Sue,

So how do you hibernate your little guys with higher humidity? Do they go in the fridge?
Just the 25 years huh? LOL!!! We are not worthy! :laugh:

Paula x

#23 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:29 PM

I did fridge hibernation for a couple of years Paula but it scared the pants off me - not a pretty sight ;) Where I live now I am lucky enough to have a garage away from the house that is north facing with no windows. It holds excellent temps once the cold weather has kicked in. I use a large four foot hibernaculum made from thick polystyrene which then houses each individual tortoise box. I open the front for a few minutes on very cold days and momentarily on other days, to allow air exchange, and being in the garage it does not dry out the same as a fridge. I still have a large fridge ready for back up but have not had to use it in 6 years. My torts always feel everso slightly damp when I check them over the same as those that have gone underground on occasions.

#24 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:19 AM

Do you spray randomly in the fridge or into the torts box? Do you spray the tort as well as substrate? How often is periodic? style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

#25 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:49 PM

Spraying into the fridge has been sugested to me and I'm now doing that a couple of times a week. I've also asked lots of people about the ability of cold air to hold moisture in it, and it's definitely harder to get the cold air to pick up moisture.

I'm also dampening the substrate slightly. Its difficult to get an accurate humidity reading of the substrate though, and Im not recommending this anyone just in case it could affect the shell of the tortoise (though I don't believe it will).

#26 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:51 PM

Fridge humidity, to me, is getting into the realm of physics, which I never was any good at it, so I'm going to tuck my head in my shell and pretend ithe problem doesn't exist :huh:

#27 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

I can't see how it will affect the shell Jonathan as when I have picked up torts that have hibernated naturally, they have been quite damp, as though they had just had a bath. In the wild torts hibernate over the rainy season so will come into contact with a lot of wet conditions. So long as the soil is free draining they cope with it OK ;)

#28 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

I was told by Kimbo's Darren that the fridge needs to be 30 - 40% humidity.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users