- - - - -

herman tortoise book

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tortoisemad_*

Guest_tortoisemad_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

could anyone tell the names of any good herman tortoise book just about hermans not other tortoise please thank you

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:17 PM

I have got a book written by Wolfgang Wegehaupt. Naturalistic keeping and breeding of Hermanns tortoises.
It was expensive... but sooooo worth it! There is so much information in there that I read it and then have to read it again!! It is packed with colour photos of the little guys in their natural environment. I love it!

Paula x

#3 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Nov 18 2009, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have got a book written by Wolfgang Wegehaupt. Naturalistic keeping and breeding of Hermanns tortoises.
It was expensive... but sooooo worth it! There is so much information in there that I read it and then have to read it again!! It is packed with colour photos of the little guys in their natural environment. I love it!

Paula x

Sounds similar to Holger Vetters book Paula, also very informative. I find it better than some of the 'recommended' books around. LOL Do you have a link to yours anywhere?

#4 Guest_Val_*

Guest_Val_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (wizzasmum @ Nov 19 2009, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds similar to Holger Vetters book Paula, also very informative. I find it better than some of the 'recommended' books around. LOL Do you have a link to yours anywhere?

http://www.testudo-f.../html/book.html

Excellent book but some things I do find contradictory to what I have learned and actually do particularly the use of vitamin supplements. I put it down to the fact that his set if by far more Naturalistic hence the name of the book than mine and the need for supplements is therefore less. Anyway a very good book and delivered in very good time after ordering.

Val

#5 Guest_x Carly x_*

Guest_x Carly x_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:21 PM

I also recommend Wolfsgangs book!

Really stresses the importance of making their habitat and everyday life as close to the wild as possible, The most natural way there is, and the book is specifically for Hermanns!

It is more expensive than other books but hey its coming up to christmas.....add it to your wish list :-) xx

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:41 PM

Dawn got a few of us to get together and order the books we wanted at one time so we were able to get a discount for a multiple order...
Which was nice, every little helps! smile.gif

Paula x

#7 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:11 PM

I have both the Wolfgang book and the Holger Vetter one and Sue is correct they are quite similar. Holger's book maybe has more on how the tortoises live in the wild and a bit less on keeping them in captivity compared to Wolfgang's book. I like them both, there are a few things in each of them that I maybe don't quite agree with.

Wolfgang has a plant list in his book that made my hair stand on end!! I contacted him and asked about some of the plants he included and he stands by it. But of course he was observing the animals in nature where they have maybe 40 species of plant available which is not the same as captive feeding at all.

Wolfgangs' enclosure photos are stunning. Once I stopped being despondent at how mine compare, I was inspired!

#8 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (Ozric @ Nov 19 2009, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have both the Wolfgang book and the Holger Vetter one and Sue is correct they are quite similar. Holger's book maybe has more on how the tortoises live in the wild and a bit less on keeping them in captivity compared to Wolfgang's book. I like them both, there are a few things in each of them that I maybe don't quite agree with.

Wolfgang has a plant list in his book that made my hair stand on end!! I contacted him and asked about some of the plants he included and he stands by it. But of course he was observing the animals in nature where they have maybe 40 species of plant available which is not the same as captive feeding at all.

Wolfgangs' enclosure photos are stunning. Once I stopped being despondent at how mine compare, I was inspired!

Oh I remember that list. I think what tortie keepers need to bear in mind is that the gut of the tortoise is very slow to digest foods and that many toxic lists are based on what is safe for mammals to eat. During the process of digestion plant matter undergoes many changes that differe from animal to animal. For instance a field of buttercups would be a bad idea for horse grazing but tortoises do just fine around them. I used to plagued with crreeping buttercups but somehow they seem to have disappeared! Hmmmmm. A study of stomach contents of wild tortoises in the Med, found a fairly high percentage of ranunculus. When we did our studies in Antalya it was found that tortoises were eating some very suspect plants, such as poppy and ranunculus on a regular basis. It was also surprising to see just how many plants native to UK were also growing there, so it's quite possible to give a good varied diet here too if people just took a bit more time to lok. Obviously some plants are more regional. We seem to be inundated with dandelions here whereas when I go to Jersey there is an abundance of sow thistle which I always want to pick and bring home lol The key, obviously has to be variation at all times, but it's still important to note that some plants are still toxic to tortoises and not to trust the instinct of the animal to necessarily know what is right and what is not. Think I'm deviating a bit <g>

#9 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (wizzasmum @ Nov 19 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh I remember that list. I think what tortie keepers need to bear in mind is that the gut of the tortoise is very slow to digest foods and that many toxic lists are based on what is safe for mammals to eat. During the process of digestion plant matter undergoes many changes that differe from animal to animal. For instance a field of buttercups would be a bad idea for horse grazing but tortoises do just fine around them. I used to plagued with crreeping buttercups but somehow they seem to have disappeared! Hmmmmm. A study of stomach contents of wild tortoises in the Med, found a fairly high percentage of ranunculus. When we did our studies in Antalya it was found that tortoises were eating some very suspect plants, such as poppy and ranunculus on a regular basis. It was also surprising to see just how many plants native to UK were also growing there, so it's quite possible to give a good varied diet here too if people just took a bit more time to lok. Obviously some plants are more regional. We seem to be inundated with dandelions here whereas when I go to Jersey there is an abundance of sow thistle which I always want to pick and bring home lol The key, obviously has to be variation at all times, but it's still important to note that some plants are still toxic to tortoises and not to trust the instinct of the animal to necessarily know what is right and what is not. Think I'm deviating a bit <g>

Hi Sue, so would you say that creeping butter cup was ok then as that seems to be the only blooming weed that flourishes in my garden!!!! rolleyes.gif

#10 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Nov 19 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Sue, so would you say that creeping butter cup was ok then as that seems to be the only blooming weed that flourishes in my garden!!!! rolleyes.gif

Hi Dawn
Not if it is the only weed. It will not hurt as part of a varied diet but not if it is predominant. I would not let a tortoise out to graze buttercups alone just in case. I have one that has a liking for foxglaves to the point where I can't grown them at all now, she will climb a plant pot to get to them.

#11 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for that Sue, anyhew, back on track to original question (oops!)

I also have Wolfies book and find it fantastic - though I lent it out in September and haven't had it back since!!!!! Grrrrrrrr! mad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users