regulating fridge temp

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dewsy_*

Guest_dewsy_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:42 PM

Hi, could anyone help me. I'm trying to regulate the temp of my fridge. I have three digital thermometres and they keep changing temps quite considerably. I have added some bottles to the fridge to try and make the free-flow of air more consistent. What sort of temp should I be aiming for? One of the thermometres read 8-9 degrees and then another is more 3-4 degrees. Do all thermometres need to be over 5 degrees? It's driving me mad!

#2 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:14 PM

do you know, im having the exact trouble. i have bottles of water in the fridge to.

I dont think my fridge is cutting back in soon enough hence allowing a vast temperature change. ...

#3 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:16 PM

In most friedges the temp varies depending what bit you have your thermometer in. I find its colder at the top and at the back. The ideal temp is 4 to 5 degrees. Some up and down of the temp is not a huge problem but you do want to try and get an average round about 5 and I would never let it go below 2 just in case.

#4 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:31 PM

well, ive put more water in today, and the boxes with the substrate in with one thermometer for each box with the probe taped to the inside of the lids which are laying on top at a slight angle to allow air in.

Im finding the temp has varied between 2.9 degrees and about 8.5 degrees. So hopefully now ive packed it out a bit better i can get it to settle a bit better.

Ive put the boxes bang in the middle for now.

Dewsy, i tried putting the whole thermometer in, not just the probe and they are both reading the same as each other now, whereas before they were way out.

ive just over a week to get it cracked.

By the way, with this warm weather, (about 15 degrees for the last week here!!) , the boys really are not settling. They are on zero food all this week and 4 hours heat and light. They are still flying around and when i weigh them i bet they have lost another shed load of weight.

Come d-day! Next week when i weigh them i will check with you guys. Has any of you ever pulled the plug on hibernation after wind down??

Regards. Mark.

#5 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

Hi,
I'm also trying to get a stable temp in the fridge i have a week to get it right as he will be on his last week starting monday with no lights at all and reducing temp right down so i'm taking his tabletop out of the lounge and putting it on top of his fridge in the porch where it is slightly cooler,gettin nervous!!!!!!
Jay and H

#6 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:00 AM

yes its nerve racking. here in suffolk the weather is more like spring than winter!

The box temperatures have settled about 7-8 degrees now so i am going to have to move thing around i think!

#7 Guest_TPG_*

Guest_TPG_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:20 AM

Hi Mark,

Fridges will take time to settle when adding lots of dense substances (eg water).

How are the temps now?

#8 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:38 AM

those were taken this morning . The temperature in the middle of the fridge now i have the water and the boxes with substrate in seem to have settled at about 7.5-8.5 degrees.

I think i may need to move the boxes . I have put the boxes at the top of the fridge. and then if no good i will try the bottom of the fridge.

I have just looked in the fridge and notice the droplets of water on the back of the fridge have frozen! and its a bit frosty. Surely the readings from both thermometers should be lower then 7-8???

Regards Mark.

#9 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

In the fridge that I hibernated the tortoises in for the last two years the temperature stayed about 7 degrees

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users