d-day (fridge day!!)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:27 AM

well the time has come here is what happened.

we got the boys in from the shed and they hadnt moved. Checked them for reflex and they were fine. checked for wee and there was none. (phew)

Weighed them and they were both exactly the same as the day they went in the shed. So both the boys have gone in the fridge with a calculation of 0.19 each, which is ok i think...

we have noted the date and the weight ready for the weekly check.

We put them in thier boxes and covered them with the soil mix. Gulp..... still cant get my head round that. How can the poor things breath!! style_emoticons/default/blush.gif

We put a bit of shredded paper on top and sealed the lid. (the boxes have a couple of small air holes).

If there was a tip i could give you with my limited knowledge it would be plan this move into the fridge. Try to keep the fridge door closed as much as poss.

Our fridge had a mad half hour but now seems to have settled. I have lowered the alarm to 7 degrees (it was at 8). and at the other end it remains at 3 degrees. I want to know exactly whats happening!

So thats it they are asleep. Any thing ive missed? Any pointers?

When do i check in the boxes? Do i leave them a week now?

What about all this humidity business should i spray a mist in the fridge..

So how are you all getting on then. I know many of you are on FRIDGE DAY..... :wacko:

Regards. Mark

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:46 AM

hi mark my lot are going in the fridge today if their is no poo in the last bath of the year.i will be weighing every week outside the house so they dont wake up.its snowing here today.no fear of them waking up out their!!!!!

#3 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:18 PM

wow no.!! I just had the alarm go onthe fridge. It had dropped below 3!! This hasnt happened in all the time ive had the fridge setup.

Worried the fridge is unsettled now!! When will my brain get some peace! ha!

Hope it all goes well. Regards.

#4 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:35 PM

my fridge is pritty stable now between 4 - 6 but it was jumping up and down(the temps not the fridge!!!!)hope it settles down for you.mines are having the last bath.all going well they will be in by 2.00pm

#5 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:52 PM

thanks, all the best to you to.

Was going out this afternoon, dont know whether to stay in and keep an eye on fridge now. Sure it will settle down.

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

I'm miles behind you chaps!!
Still awaiting delivery from Kimbos of my thermometer... a month now since I ordered, also waiting for a response from a chase up email!
Best of luck at this nerve racking time. :wacko:

Paula x

#7 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

LOL - that is how I was when I used this method. I stuck it for two years by which time I had no hair, nails or sanity :wacko:

#8 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

Hi Paula - try thermometers direct, they are really quick , next day delivery usually ;)
http://www.thermometersdirect.co.uk/acatal...ermometers.html

#9 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:12 PM

my fridge has gone nuts.

dunno wots going. it was all settled down before. The boys arent that big.

ive got two thermometors, one in each box. Its the alarm one i have resting on the boxes its going so low its scary.

Im going to go mad.!!

#10 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:02 PM

If both thermometers are giving different readouts then consider one of them might not be working correctly Mark. Sorry if this is not the case and it sounds a bit obvious!

#11 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

the two in the boxes are the same. its the other one. i think the probe was down between the boxes which seems to read a lot colder than if i put on top of the boxes, when it reads the same as the ones inside the box lids.

maybe its how the air circulates. Do you put the probes into the substrate or just inside the box lids??

#12 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

Hi,
My little one has gone in the fridge this morning,the temps went hay wire for a while but now settled at 4.1c,i left him in the shed last night as temps were 7c and i had to stay up to 3.30a.m this morning as my daughter was babysitting and then i got up at six to check temps and they were still 7c and then i bought him through the house to the porch where his fridge is and then i quickly had a check on him to make sure he had not pooed or wee'd and put the probe in his box,i noticed he had burrowed right down so on every weight check i hope i do not disturb too much.
I hope i get some sleep tonight,or will i be listening for the alarm,i'm checking him every sunday and doing his weight check ,opening the fridge door quickly just to exchange air every second day,i'm not spraying in the fridge as my hubby told me the fridge will maintain it's humidity levels which i do not understand at all.
I hope all goes well.
Jay and H

#13 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the link Sue!

Paula x

#14 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

I just put mine inside the big box as I no longer use a fridge. I used to use seperate ones in the boxes but no longer do this. They should read the same though if there is no fan in there. As torts are cold blooded, I go by the temps in the surrounding air as no matter how much substrate they have it will not alter their body temps. Just my take on it ;)

#15 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:45 PM

Hi Jay
Now this is purely my own theory based on experience but your husband may be talking about air humidity which tends to be low in fridges anyway because of how they work. Substrate humidity though is a different thing altogether, same as underground. This is why I mist (not spray) the substrate lightly to simulate underground conditions. If the air (and substrate) surrounding the tortoise is dry then I would expect a quicker weight loss as the tortoises body is naturally damp and therefore the substrate could remove some of this if kept very dry. I'm not very good at explaining so here is an explanation by someone who understands better lol

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Humidy is relative to temperature, hence; relative humidity. Higher air temperatures can hold larger amounts of moisture. Suppose, for example, one cubic meter of air is 100% saturated at 70F degrees. There might be 5 cc's of water in the air. At 50%, there would be 2.5cc's, etc. But the same volume of air at 35F degrees would only be able to hold half the water at 100% saturation. So, at 35F, the air would be 100% saturated if it were holding 3.5cc's. Anything more = rain.

That said, refrigerator humidity can vary wildly. If left closed for an extended period, it can become rather dry (under 10%)since the air is being forced over a chilled coil causing moisture to condense and drip away. But open the door on a hot summer day and the humidity level will shoot up to near 100% almost instantly as the cool, dry air collides with the warm moinst air. Ever see the fog that rolls out of an open fridge or freezer? That's 100% relative humidity and indoor 'rain'. Remember; it's all "relative". 100% at 35 degrees is not more than 75% at 70 degrees.

25 years of HVAC experience

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users