fridge troubles.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:49 AM

i have just had my second sleepless night. It seems my fridge is very erratic, especially at night even though its in a bedroom.

Im thinking it may be a cheap larder fridge i was given by my bro in law.

it was seeming to rise to about 7 degrees then cut in and i had it so it took down to about 4.5 degrees then about 1.5 hour later it does the same again.

I have one thermometor in each box. I also have another with alarms on it which sit on top of the boxes towards the back. This is more sensitive in that it reacts quicker to temp change.

At night im getting alarms going off. The back of the fridge is always icing up when it cuts in and the temp for that thermometor goes very low, but the ones in the boxes seem ok.

Should i just worry bout the ones in the boxes?

Now ive noticed the high temp on the box ones was about 7.8 also noticed one of the boys has dug himself out and sitting on top although i havnt opened the box . Im worn out and not thinking to straight! What should i do?

Do i just leave things for the week, or do i take the boys outside and check them?

should i worry about the back of the fridge icing and getting very cold ?? Or just go by the box ones...

This fridge doesnt seem to have a very even temp.

#2 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:16 AM

just checked the fridge because it had cut in and this time it switched off sooner. The only difference being the heat is on in the house. (not the room where the fridge is, although it must be warmer).

I dont know! I just read my 1st post and doesnt make a lot of sense! Im so tired! Ive now got to go to work. If someone with experience with fridge hibernating doesnt mind pm,ing me thier phone number and a time to call, i will be home from about 3pm.

I dont mind if you would rather not ofcourse. Any posted help is much appreciated. Just think i can explain quicker and easier talking!!

Thanks. Mark.

#3 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:22 AM

My fridge never went below 7, so it's not a problem if it stays round about that. Unless you have a frost-free fridge, a larder fridge works by frosting at the back and then de-icing, so make sure the torts aren't pushed against the back. Make sure the alarms are set to go off if it goes down to 3 degrees or up to 10 degrees. If they go off then, then you do have a problem. However you 'tuck in' the torts for the winter, they will find their own way to sleep, so if he wants to sleep on top, no problem. In fact, I have seen a picture of a fridge full of tortoises and they're not in boxes at all

#4 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:09 AM

Yes, this is the biggest danger with fridges. Torts MUST be in an escape proof box and not put anywhere near the back of the fridge. I have seen torts suffer from blindness after being situated in this position and even death. I would be very wary about using an old fridge as the stats are very often unreliable. Sorry if this sounds scary but better safe than sorry ;)

#5 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:48 PM

i have the boxes pushed to the front of fridge . there is about a three inch gap between the back of the box and the back of the fridge the thermometors in the boxes have fluctuated between 5.5 and 7.5 and the one i sit on top of the box which is the alarm one goes from 4 to 7.2 If i was to put it under the bottom of the back of the box it can go much lower and the alarm goes off.

The fridge is 3 years old but i think it would be a cheap one which i think could be half the trouble. I think it is struggling.

So i either keep it as it is or turn it down a touch , but then will it be to warm. Or do i wake them up. They have only been in the fridge 3 days and the shed two. should a fridge get down to temp then rise back up in an hour then back down??

#6 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:42 PM

just taped the alarm thermostat to the back edge of a box lid and the alarm goes off , but the two thermostats in side the boxes go down to about 6.

Would it be that the air coming off the back of the fridge is bound to be very cold hence the alarm goes off on the one taped to the back of the lid. But inside the box things arent so affected?

I dont know , ...

do you think perhaps i should forget having the alarm thermostat outside the boxes and get inside a box to see what happens, this where its important isnt it?

Do any of you have a thermostat outside a box?

#7 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

Hi Mark,
It sounds like i'm having the same problems as you,i had my fridge in the porch and the alarms were going off after every time the front door opened,it would be all nice and stettled and then all of a sudden temps would drop right down so today we transferred him into our fridge while we set up the fridge in the kitchen so the temps should only alter when we open the door but when you do there is a vast change and it takes a while to get temps back,we have put two digital probes in his box to make sure and at the moment we are trying to stabilize it,i have been a reck all day i'm so stressed out i cannot sleep,i just cannot wait for it to be over i think i will only manage the eight weeks,my H went in hibernation the same day as yours and i bet you will be glad when its over.
Jay and H

#8 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

Hi Mark, I only put the thermostats in the boxes of the torts and only one thermostat per shelf - if that makes any sense?? Here's a pic of my fridge from last year

#9 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:39 PM

sorry to hear im not the only one jay. Ive had two sleepless nights and worked! Im done in. I was sat by the fridge with a cup of tea from 2am , im so stressed.

Now what ive done is put the alarm thermometor in one of the boxes and the readings seem a lot better, But still up and down.

I definitely will be buying a better fridge next year. I see Dawn yours was set on number 3. Mine has been virtually right up. I definitely think it cant cope with all the water etc. Yours is a frost free set up aswell is it? i think a fancy fridge which can hold a temp across the fridge is what i wil be getting. When my brother in law said, "dont go buying one, ive a perfect 3 year old fridge in the garage you can have", i thought crimbo had come early!

Im going to try and see it through to weekend and weigh the boys etc and check them. Its better to do this than wake them isnt it.....???

One thing i can say is that onion who dug himself out moved to the cold end of the box which surely he wouldnt if it was to cold would he...???

Thanks for your concern , and sorry for my ramblings this morning! ha.

But please dont hesitate to advise!! thanks . mark.

#10 Guest_koopa_*

Guest_koopa_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

HI Markf,

Put mine in the fridge yesterday, the temp went up and down for a while down to 3 up to 7.5, i've only got the one thermometer and it's inside the box as i believe that it's where the tort is so should be the most important temp.i don't have any alarmed ones as i would go crazy! the temp has stablised now at around 4.5-5.5 although it did get up to 6 this morning, (i think it was due to the heating coming on) I may be told off for this, but i think that the temp will vary no matter what you do, and so long as it doesn't freeze or kick in at 10 then your tort should be fine. in the wild i'm sure the temp would vary alot, even tho they bury themselves to help regulate temp. i find it hard to believe that underground it would remain excatly at 5 degrees!

this may sound silly but is the fridge turn down enough if it's not getting cold enough? i say this because i've had my drinks husky fridge set up now for a month and it never really got cold enough only going down to about 6. untill three days ago i thought number 1 on the fridge control was coldest, turns out number 5 is. soon as i turned it to 5 it got alot colder! down to 2-3. So on my fridge i had to turn it up to make it cold? make sense?

i hope this helps and you get some sleep soon

katie

#11 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:56 PM

thanks guys for all your help. See what you mean katie. mine is like yours 5 being the coldest.

Finally it ran ok last night. I got some sleep! (but, i may have sneeked in to check a couple of times!)

We have some mild weather again here at the moment and i definitely think its the weather that is affecting it in a big way.

All the trouble i had was on the cold nights when the fridge temp fell aswell.

I didnt expect that with it being in a bedroom! During the couple of weeks i was setting it up we had continuous mild weather. The cold snap coincided with the "boys" going in the fridge. Hence the trouble.

All my thermometors are in the boxes now. Of course that makes sense in hind sight! Of course if i have a thermometor at the back of the fridge it will plunge below 3 degrees, thats where the cold air comes from, to chill the rest of the fridge.

So the question now is.... on the cold nights i either get a background heater put on. Maybe by the door , just to take the chill off or i turn the fridge down slightly...... That may be easier because soon may have cold weather all the time, And during the day.

Dont know really. do you guys adjust the fridge at all in cold weather or just leave it....

regards. Mark.

#12 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:42 PM

I read somewhere that drinks fridges are not always reliable as the same safety checks do not apply that apply to food fridges. Health and safety issues arise with food that does not apply with canned or bottled drinks - might be worth looking into I imagine ;)

#13 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:28 PM

my fridge is a food larder fridge. Just a very cheap one i think. Probably not as efficient or insulated than if you spend more.

Things not to bad now though. Mark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users