panic am i to late?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:25 PM

ok had a few family probs so not been around and i log on tonight and see loads are already in the fridge oh my gawd am i to late to start winding mine down?

there weights have increased weekly there still fit and healthy if i start turning the lights/heating of early and only give them one sitting of food can i have them asleep for xmas??

if i remember right im on 2 weeks wind down for 8 weeks sleep..

so first week will be less light/heat secound week even less heat/light and NO food???

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

Hi Clair,

I get more confused the more I read!! My little guys 50g & 68g start wind down on Saturday. I have had it all worked out for ages, fridge set up and at the right temperature, and then I go and read somat else!!

My plan is... unless anyone tells me I am completely wrong is;

NO FOOD WHAT SO EVER, AT ANY STAGE, NO MATTER HOW THEY PLEAD...

4 days of usual (12hr) heat/light
6 days of 8hrs heat/light
2 days of 4hrs heat/light
2 days no heat/light
FRIDGE 18th December

I made these plans based on info from our link above and http://www.tortoise-...wnprocedure.pdf unless I should be treating them as juveniles rather than over 35g hatchlings? When do they become juveniles? wacko.gif

Since making my plans I have read that all torts no matter how young need 3 weeks of wind down.
http://www.tortoiset...s/induction.htm

Guys.... heeeeelp, what do you think?

Paula x

#3 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

i have done a three week wind down with my litle ones paula

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:23 PM

Thanks Bruce, advice appreciated muchly! :wacko:

Paula x

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:25 PM

OMG!!!! I'd better start tomorrow otherwise a week behind when I had planned for would mean the day of going in the fridge will be Christmas day!!

Paula x

#6 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:47 AM

Hi Paula
Adults need four weeks to empty completely and hatchlings around 2 weeks or just over. I do the ones of around 100 grams plus for three weeks. Ive been doing this now for many years with good results. JMHO of course.

#7 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:04 PM

omg paula isnt it so confusing but im happy im not too late to have them Hopefully asleep for xmas

ok seems i have it wrong was only going to starve them for a week since there only 1yr i dont want them loosing to much weight before they sleep there only betty 66g boris is 73g and boop is 70g give or take a couple of g"s each week,

so NO FOOD for 2 weeks then?? and just alter light and heating over the 2 weeks then pop them in fridge

omg ill be glad when this first hibernation is over..lmao.

i may go with your plan then it looks easy enough..lol..

better go read the hibernation post and update myself with it

as for juveniles i thought ours was?? once they hit 1 there no longer hatchlings??..LMAO OH GAWD havent a clue

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

Thanks guys,
It seems the answer is between 2 and 3 weeks then!!
So Clair, I will tag a day onto stage 1, 3 and 4 and at the end will pop them into a colder room for a day before the fridge. Making it 19 days... torts permitting!! :wacko:

Paula x

#9 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:01 AM

Today is my last day of feeding my 3 torts OMG ive got butterflys..lol..

i also think im going to have to remove the topsoil as i have caught them having a munch of it when they have woke up earlier than expected and there was no food waiting for them so will keep a close eye on this if i see one eat it then im going to replace with newspaper....

paula good luck hun xxxx i wish our little ones a safe sleep and oh my gawd im dreading the OI MOTHER WERES ME FOOD eyes..lmao..

#10 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

Hi Claire
It's not to do with their age so much as how long it takes to empty the gut, this again depends on temps so not just straightforward. Due to lots of research by people doing it year after year, it's been found that a little one like yours will empty it's gut in a couple of weeks so long as it has the opportunity to bask and therefore reach temps sufficient to digest the food. Remember that the weight loss during wind down is not actual body weight loss but just the loss of what is passing through, a bit like people when they have a tummy big for a couple of days ;) It goes back on immediately they eat again ;)
It's difficult to say when they are juveniles and no longer hatchlings. I have a two year old that will be on it's way to being adult next year (don't ask), but a hatchling that is the same weight as yours at one year old and another which is 4 years old and only around 100 grams (I call this a juvenile). I tend to go by the size to be honest but I'm sure others will do it other ways. There's no set rule ;)
Also a bit of soil in the gut will not hurt as it's not going to rot or need digesting.

#11 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:03 PM

aww thanks for that sue xx

well day one of no food i say has been very bad ive never felt so darn guilty before, they were all all over the tank hunting for it and they have nibbled at the soil..lol.. but since its ok to leave then i will not upset them even more by removing it..lol..

why do i feel its a bad thing to not feed them when i know deep down its doing them good.....lol..

they are now back on daily baths aswell..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users