getting very nervous

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:56 AM

ok only 4 days to go till fridge day today i move onto 4hrs heat n light for 2 days then 2 days with nothing then in fridge,,,,

the thing is the weight loss has worried me so much (yes reading loads on this i know its normal) but being as this is my well there first hibernation im not sure what there meant to be doing day to day,,

at the moment all three are to me looking so sad they do attempt to eat the top soil there not moving about as much no more (again i know this is normal)
i bathe them every night in luke warm water and they just sit there normally they climb over eachother and around there bath but now there just there..
i pick them up for there bath and they feel so light compared to how they were last month i dont know what i was expecting but my gawd i feel so bad/guilty in starving a animal like this :(

:( also what worrys me been very frosty here and i dont have a room in the house that doesnt have a radiator on so the temps for there cage as of now (without lights n heat) stands at 17c so what do i do??? i cant put them outside as they will freeze over is it ok to put them in fridge still after 2 days with no heat light? the fridge is very steady now at 5-6c so ihave no worrys with the fridge temp..lol wow one thing im not worried about..lol..

things are made a lot harder by my other half since he does not think they need to be hibernated.. my friend is also not doing it and i spoke with my daughters teacher friday who also has a hermanns same age as mine and she is not doing it either so at the moment i feel like the only person hibernating my torts.....(until i come on here of course.lol)

sorry for this post but i just need to ramble and be honest im terrified i pass the florrette and i think its so easy to just buy a bag and slip them some food but im not going to as much as its scaring the life outta me i am determined to do it for there sakes its just this first time OMG IM NOT READY!!!!!

#2 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:27 PM

Hi Claire,
I understand exactly how you feel it is nerve racking i've had two sleepless nights at the beginning of hibernation but now more at ease even though struggling with temps after doing a weight check,how come your other half thinks that your torts dont need hibernating ?are your friends and daughter's teacher worried about hibernation or is there a medical reason why they will not hibernate them or are they scared like we are but we are thinking of the little torts.
Take care
Jay and H

#3 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:55 PM

You will be fine hun, I promise!!!! It does get easier, blimey my first hibernation I was a nervous wreck...barely slept but now I just go with the flow - its no longer a big issue. Sure I hate it when they go in the fridge and I find the few days before hand I try and think of excuses to pull out of it, but hey, think of the good you will be doing them!

I didn't have a 'cold' room, so all I did was turned the thermastat off on the rad in the utility room then put them in the fridge. When they went in there the temps went up to about 10 degrees and it took a good 24hrs for it to settle back down so in effect they had their intro to the fridge there! I also kept their heat and uv of for about a week beforehand and bathed them in cooler water.

#4 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

How long a wind down are you doing?? It didnt seem long ago you were starting??

pickle and onion were 78g and 86g respectively at the start of thier wind down, and by the end of thier wind down they were62g and 71g , so they lost about 15g over the 3 week wind down, but now after two weeks hibernation they have lost nothing, and seem ok.

On the third week of wind down i tried to cool them right down. I turned the radiator off in the room they were in and opened the window a bit then put them in the shed for a couple of days at the end of the week, but like you say it is to cold for that now.

I notice you say 2 days with 4 hours light and 2 days with no light, then in the fridge??? What guide are you following?? For the whole of the last 5 day week out of 3 ours had no light or heat??

I still worry i did the right thing. Our neighbour has tortoises she hasnt hibernated and they are four years old. They come from a breeder who is her mother in law, and she told her to do this.

All i can say is, i took the plunge and am hoping all goes well.

But if the pressure is just all to much you need to make your decision with your familly. Im no expert, but if you over winter them, for another year, i think it wont do them any harm, it just wont do them any extra good which a successful hibernation does.

Im sure others will talk to you on this.

All the best. Mark.

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:11 PM

Hi Clair,

I know the feeling, , my little guys go in the fridge on Saturday :( Soooo not looking forward to it. But gotta believe it is for the best for the little chaps.

Paula x

#6 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:38 PM

husband thinks because there indoors and can have food anytime they want there is no need to hibernate them..

friend just plain dont want to do it till its about 5 as for the teacher she says she will do it next year she wants to know how i get on..lol..

wind down period when they go in fridge is sunday 20th sorry ive got me dates wrong..lol. so much going on this week and next with the kids im all over the shop but it will make it about just over 2 weeks of wind down. thursday maybe wednesday they will have no heat/light .. had a thought i will moniter the porch and see how cold that goes down too as i really cant turn the rads down the kids will moan there cold pmsl.

i will lower the temp of the water aswell as i think im being a tad to over protective on that front.lol..

paula oh my gawd good luck for saturday ill be thinking of your guys going in ..... then all saturday ill be saying sorry to mine and i do love em...lol.. and oh my gawd sunday fridge.......

who said looking after torts was easy?!?!?!?! they eat less dont make a noise- dont fowl the house- dont scratch furniture- dont get under ya feet- dont answer back- dont need taking for walks-yet there causing me more stress than the dogs/cats and kids pmsl..

#7 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

dont cool the water down warm water apparently encourages them to drink and take on the much needed water. ;)

#8 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:48 PM

I turn the radiator off in one room for a couple of days, so the tortoise has chance to really shut down. I am winding down my last years hatchling that I am keeping. She too was moving around a little with no heat or light on. But I have now turned the radiator off, and we had our first sharpe frost of the year last night, which really helped her stop moving. She will be going into her box at the weekend.

#9 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:36 PM

had a good day today regarding the torts movements they only got out of bed about 1hr ago so i bathed them and put them back they have now dug in again so im now sorta getting a little calmer with things..lol..

just weighed them again and
betty is 58g
boop is 59g
boris is 60g (now he has put 2g on since the last weigh in but he is the one that was eating the subtrate.lol)

but the weight loss has slowed down so im a lot happier with that :ohmy:

fingers crossed for everyone this weekened xxxx

#10 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:06 PM

It does cause excess activity though, so be sure it's not too warm ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users