waking up time

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tortoisemad_*

Guest_tortoisemad_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:27 PM

could i ask when it time for them to wake up how do you do it do you leave them in the box and leave them at room temp then put them in the bath then in there tortoise table ?or what as not sure what to dowith that bit when the timecome .

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

Have a read of this, it is what I shall do when the time comes. :)

http://www.thetortoisehouse.com/Hibernation04.htm

Paula x

#3 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:46 PM

Hi, I get mine out the fridge and bring them into the front room keeping them in their boxes for a few minutes. Once they show signs of waking up I put them in a cool bath then under a heat lamp and offer them some food. I bath them a couple of times during the day to ensure they are getting enough water.

I'm hoping that come March my new (yes I'm gonna revamp AGAIN!) enclosure will be sorted and they can then go straight outdoors into their new house which will be fully heated and insulated. Once I know they are eating and 'back to normal' I will then let them go outdoors to forage for themselves.

#4 Guest_tortoisemad_*

Guest_tortoisemad_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:15 PM

hiya dawn can i just ask why do you them a cold bath just want too know when its done so i know myself if you get me and do you give them a cold bath all day long or start making it warmer as the day go on

is that when your lot wake up march ? most of mine wake up in march too

#5 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:20 PM

Not Dawn, but I let the water stand at room temp for the first days bath so it's not too much of a shock - as they become fully awake you can revert to normal warmer baths if you like. Once outdoors I let them bath/drink at will in normal outdoor temps ;)
Hope this helps

#6 Guest_tortoisemad_*

Guest_tortoisemad_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

yes thank you sue and dawn it does help

#7 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

Ditto what Sue said! :D Yeah mine will wake in March when hopefully their new house should be built!!!! :cool:

#8 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:02 AM

Mine will wake when the soil warms up enough for the tortoises to surface, as my adults and sub adults dig down in my greenhouses for hibernation, and have done for about the last eight or nine years.
The ones I have boxed will wake when the outside temps rise, and their bodies start to warm slowly. Once the weather is better and they are getting up, I stand them in a normal temp room for a couple of hours, to ajust to the room temperature. Then I bathe them in tepid water. Then put them near a lamp but not under it, so they can move to it in their own time. I may put down a few weeds, as some will eat once they are warmed through straight away, others take longer.

#9 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:38 AM

Maybe next year we can do posts on the three types of hibernations - fridge, box and natural and make them stickies......?

#10 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

Maybe Dawn

Hibernating tortoises in the greenhouse, is not a lot different, you wind them down as you do any hibernating tortoise. But when it gets cold enough they dig down in the soil, instead of being boxed or fridged:0)

Maybe next year we can do posts on the three types of hibernations - fridge, box and natural and make them stickies......?
[/quote]

#11 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:36 AM

Maybe Dawn

Hibernating tortoises in the greenhouse, is not a lot different, you wind them down as you do any hibernating tortoise. But when it gets cold enough they dig down in the soil, instead of being boxed or fridged:0)

#12 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:37 AM

Opps sorry a double post, got diverted by my husband asking something and I couldnt remember if I had posted or not.
Feel free to delete the double and this message:0)

#13 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

LOL!!! Wouldn't dream of it!!! This way it looks like I'm not the only one on the vino!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

#14 Guest_tortoisemad_*

Guest_tortoisemad_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:24 AM

hiya i just wanted too ask and hope you dont mind i just wanted too know you say your tortoise are in the green house and they dig down what happends when it get cold like it is and its below the temp that it should be for them what do you do ?

#15 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:46 AM

I have a greenhouse heater that is set to come on if the temps get to 5c. And it has been on for the last few days:0)
Once a tortoise has buried down, the temps below the surface dont change too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users