- - - - -

What no questions....?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

Where you all gone - sitting in front of your fridges no doubt!!!! rolleyes.gif Come on, just cos the torties are sleeping we don't have to!

I hate this time of year, it always goes quiet.......... there's lots to talk about -next years enclosure ideas, overwintering torts, new torts......hells teeth! We can even talk about Silly Season!!!!! LOL!

wub.gif

#2 Guest_claireshot_*

Guest_claireshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Dec 16 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where you all gone - sitting in front of your fridges no doubt!!!! rolleyes.gif Come on, just cos the torties are sleeping we don't have to!

I hate this time of year, it always goes quiet.......... there's lots to talk about -next years enclosure ideas, overwintering torts, new torts......hells teeth! We can even talk about Silly Season!!!!! LOL!

wub.gif

Hi Dawn,
I was just thinking that it had been really quiet on here, and although I don't normally have much to say i would like to thank you all for the helpfull information that has enabled me to provide a much better life to my 4 hermans and 2 leopards. and yes I have been looking longingly at the fridge counting dowm the days till i can get the hermans up!!!!

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:26 PM

So is anyone trying anything different in their outside tortoise enclosures for next year?

#4 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Dec 16 2009, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So is anyone trying anything different in their outside tortoise enclosures for next year?

Nope not here - if it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto wink.gif

#5 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:40 PM

I will start planning mine for next year after Christmas, although it will be the year after that they have the full run of it. I had been looking at a small duck house type house which I could insulate and have a heat lamp. I have found a website called secret garden woodcraft. I havent got room for a shed and this looked the best second option together with a cold frame. Does anyone else put heating in outdoor enclosures? Pat x

#6 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

ME! ME! ME! 'SCUSE ME....I AM!!!! ......... biggrin.gif

I have just asked my builder (whilst he was enjoying about his 90th cup of tea today!) if he will build me a new home for my shelled ones....every blooming year I have to re-do the sheds as they are either not big enough, or need insulating, or leaking...blah, blah, blah.... so was gonna pay lotsa money and get a potting shed but instead Ian (me builder chappie!) is gonna build me one insead!!!!

Its going to be a breeze block building - 6ft x 5ft (approx) with a sloping flat roof. At the front he will put in a door for me to have access. He will also put a big glass window in the front for the sun to shine through (like a potting shed would have) and a small door for the torts to go in and out of. It will be fully insulated and have heat and UV inside for cooler days. And the peers-de-resistance....he will dig out the floor about a foot put in a concrete base and sides then fill it back in with soil so they can have a couple of foot of soil to bury down in and I know they cant escape!! I'm also hoping that this will then allow me to maybe hibernate them 'naturally' next year as well as provide a nesting side should Frank get his arse (or dinkle!) into gear!!!!

Sooooooooo can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

(AHEM!) bet you wished you never asked now huh Sandy???? LOL!!! rolleyes.gif

#7 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:00 PM

Sounds great Dawn, I will be renavating mine as a lot of the logroll has had its day. And I like to make changes now and again, always trying to improve with new different plants etc. Although the basic enclosures will be the same size.

#8 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

Sounds very grand Dawn - I wish I had the room now for something a little bigger!

I just have visions of Alice in Wonderland and you trying to get in it because it seems so cosy! rolleyes.gif I had heard of somebody burying a large plastic bin and filling it with topsoil for them to hibernate in naturally. It would be interesting to see the gradients in temp that it would reach. Any research anyone??

Pat x

#9 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:01 PM

nope not sitting outside my fridge yet..lol.. my three havent moved much at all today so i think there ready for the fridge come sunday then i will camp outside it..lol..

plans for outside none im afraid not yet anyway since there so small and live indoors for now there run outside is plenty at the moment.

your new palace for the torts sounds great though i hope your going to provide piccies??

#10 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

Meeeeee! We have just had around 600 tonnes of soil moved from our very steep garden so now have a level bit to the side, just right for the little guys... and a bbq!!
I am thinking of a shed, a greenhouse and all sorts of ideas, but advice from others in what works and what doesn't would be gratefully received. Anyone out there with pictures of their outdoor set ups could help us out.

Paula x

#11 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:59 PM

YES TORTOISES ARE IN FRIDGE - NOT VERY INTERESTING

I have been looking very hard at some nice oak sleepers (never been treated) on the internet. I have a cunning plan to order a huge pile of them and spend a lot of time in the garden re-doing the enclosures with this lovely material in place of the log roll.

The area of coverage would be much larger and for all the new area I will dig out and remove the heavy soil, lay down a thick layer of crushed hardcore and overlay that with much lighter soil.

I have also been looking at some limestone and limestone chippings. If I get a large amount of that delivered as well, I can have the makings of a more alkaline soil over time. Also I will have a much more genuine looking habitat which will reflect more of the precious light back at the tortoises.

What I really ought to do next is to measure up the ground and try and work out an outline so I can estimate quantities of sleepers. mmmmmmmmmmm

#12 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (Ozric @ Dec 16 2009, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
YES TORTOISES ARE IN FRIDGE - NOT VERY INTERESTING

I have been looking very hard at some nice oak sleepers (never been treated) on the internet. I have a cunning plan to order a huge pile of them and spend a lot of time in the garden re-doing the enclosures with this lovely material in place of the log roll.

The area of coverage would be much larger and for all the new area I will dig out and remove the heavy soil, lay down a thick layer of crushed hardcore and overlay that with much lighter soil.

I have also been looking at some limestone and limestone chippings. If I get a large amount of that delivered as well, I can have the makings of a more alkaline soil over time. Also I will have a much more genuine looking habitat which will reflect more of the precious light back at the tortoises.

What I really ought to do next is to measure up the ground and try and work out an outline so I can estimate quantities of sleepers. mmmmmmmmmmm

I got limestone last year for my horsfields Jonathan. We piled it up over the tunnel area and covered it with limestone flour and top soil before planting out. It holds together beautifully for tunnelling species. Not sure if anyone has seen the tortoise enclosure at Chester zoo with the rusty coloured hoggin! Well it's a bit like that in consistency so holds Med type plants well and is good for them to walk on too.

#13 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (wizzasmum @ Dec 16 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got limestone last year for my horsfields Jonathan. We piled it up over the tunnel area and covered it with limestone flour and top soil before planting out. It holds together beautifully for tunnelling species. Not sure if anyone has seen the tortoise enclosure at Chester zoo with the rusty coloured hoggin! Well it's a bit like that in consistency so holds Med type plants well and is good for them to walk on too.

Have you any photos of the 'hoggin'? If not do you know anyone that does? It would be interesting to see!

#14 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:04 AM

My tortoises dig down in the soil in my greenhouses to hibernate, and have done for about the last eight to nine years. They go down when they are ready, and up when the soil is warm enough.

#15 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:30 AM

Hmmmmmmm, wonder who I'm gonna be hassling next year for advice then......... rolleyes.gif wink.gif

#16 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:24 PM

wow your outside enclosures sound brilliant! Our boys will be indoors another couple of years and outside on hot days.

Could we have some photos please of your runs?? Come on , dont be shy!

#17 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:05 PM

Why are your tortoises only going out on hot days?
You would be amazed at what temperatures tortoises can cope with, as long as the light is bright too.
My hatchlings are out 24/7 from day one of eating.

Could we have some photos please of your runs?? Come on , dont be shy!
[/quote]

#18 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

Hi,
I have been thinking about makeing the one shed into a home and cut a door into the bottom of the panelling of the shed as my husband made this shed which attaches onto the back of the house so it would be ideal as it also as a small heater,electrics are already installed so his lights would be no problem and then attach an outside enclosure and make it
secure so no other animals can get in,i just hope my hubby agrees to my idea i think its a good idea to make him safe.
Jay and H

#19 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:15 PM

wow sandy! i love your set up.looks ideal!.

im afraid im one of the "trust the pet shop brigade!" .

We have only had the boys six months , and the fact we are hibernating them now, and not until five years time is only thanks to this forum!

We built a run because we learnt on this forum they can be out side in the summer. Else they wouldnt even do that!

So maybe we already need to be thinking about making an outside home.....

I look forward to getting some more ideas............... Mark.

#20 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

Hi Sandy,

Can I ask, if your torts hibernate in the green house, how deep do they dig? I would be nervous that on a late winters day when the sun shines the greenhouse would warm up and the little guys would surface too early? How old are your sub adults that dig down to sleep in the greenhouse? Have you done anything special with the soil to prepare for this or built a chamber to stop tunneling? My soil is a wet Clay that currently doesnt drain well so I wonder if this could still be an option for me?
Do you have any heat in the greenhouses for early spring?

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users