What no questions....?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

Hi Paula

They go down far enough to cover their shells, when it turns colder they dig deeper. I have done this for the last eight to nine years, and the sun on the greenhouse has never made them pop up. As the soil has to warm up before they will move. I have some six year olds that are much smaller but they dig down too, and will go a little deeper than the adults.

#22 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Dec 16 2009, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you any photos of the 'hoggin'? If not do you know anyone that does? It would be interesting to see!

Not got any of mine Dawn at the moment, remind me in the spring. Chester zoo torts can be seen here. This is what hoggin looks like, it's like a mix of clay and topsoil that becomes compacted as they walk on it.

#23 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (wizzasmum @ Dec 17 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not got any of mine Dawn at the moment, remind me in the spring. Chester zoo torts can be seen here. This is what hoggin looks like, it's like a mix of clay and topsoil that becomes compacted as they walk on it.

Oops - here http://i54.photobuck..._efd4190a54.jpg

#24 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:54 PM

Thanks for that Sue. wub.gif

Sandy - love ur enclosures!!! wub.gif

(Ahem, and noooooooo I'm not copying your ideas....well.........) blush.gif

#25 Guest_michele_*

Guest_michele_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the idea,hubby has to make a run for next year.

#26 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

Pinching ideas from others enclosures is what tortoise keeping is all about:0) I know I have pinched ideas and ajusted them to suit my setups. Its how we all learn.
I always have a quite tall plant/shrub/miniture tree in an enclosure, it helps keep the larger birds away.

#27 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for sharing.... even more to put into the melting pot now!! wacko.gif

Paula x

#28 Guest_Al_M_*

Guest_Al_M_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:52 PM

Well.... I would like to say that Lenny and Gus are settling in great. Their table is 4ft by 2ft and they can do a lap of it in very quick time! I have used a reptile bark for now as a substrate. There are rocky area's and sandy area's and also some gravel. Lots of different area's to explore. There are a couple of plant pots and I have also made a kinda mini maze! lol. Next year I will add a little ramp to give them somewhere else to explore. I use a mega ray to provide a basking and UV source - do I need this on all day, or an hour or 2 or 3 am and pm? I try and keep the basking area between 32 and 35 degrees. They have a bath, 20 mins each morning before feeding. Until I grow some weeds, they are on floretti crispy salad... with a splash or nutrabol. Seeds have been ordered for weeds. The get a little bit of grated carrot, very occasionally.

#29 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

hi everyone its great to see Sandy here.i am parting with my lone ibera this spring he is going to live with my youngest daughter because she has just bought a house and to be honest she rescued him a few years ago from a workmate and although we never kept ibera we took him in .i have a nice section of the garden free now about 20'x 10' just not sure what to do with it.im really going to miss him i just cant believe what lovely characters they have ,i wish i had more of them.
terry

#30 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (terrypin @ Dec 19 2009, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi everyone its great to see Sandy here.i am parting with my lone ibera this spring he is going to live with my youngest daughter because she has just bought a house and to be honest she rescued him a few years ago from a workmate and although we never kept ibera we took him in .i have a nice section of the garden free now about 20'x 10' just not sure what to do with it.im really going to miss him i just cant believe what lovely characters they have ,i wish i had more of them.
terry

Hmmmmm, I woUld quite happily move in there if its in the offering, your garden offers a lovely view! Just say the word and I''l be straight over!!!! rolleyes.gif

#31 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:04 AM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Dec 19 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmmmm, I woUld quite happily move in there if its in the offering, your garden offers a lovely view! Just say the word and I''l be straight over!!!! rolleyes.gif

"THE WORD"there i said it ,so when do you arrive lol.it was great to see you in the summer Dawn your always welcome to come over and see us here anytime.
terry

#32 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

Right packing me bags as we speak!!! LOL!!!!

Its a shame about the Ibera, but I'm sure your daughter will spoil him rotten just like you did!!!

Thank you for making me and Mother feel so welcome!!! I'm trying to persuede them to go back to Jersey next year but for a relaxing holiday this time! We spent most of our time going to all the different places and didn't get chance to actually enjoy it! We might have to badger you for names of good places to stay as probably won't stay at same hotel - staff were fab but hotel had gone downhill!

#33 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:02 PM

hi Dawn i hope to see you back here soon.i may have the leopard juveniles in with the adults this summer once i buy a new strimmer to keep the grass down in their pen so i can find the smaller ones in the undergrowth at night.Tortie will be fine at Tracey's i think the boys want to rename him ,i dread to think what they will come up with.i actually suggested a breeding trio of hermans but Tracey said it would be better if she took the ibera as he is a real tough character and loves attention,he will get that from the boys.also will give us some space i may seperate my young graecas in the spring and create a seperate breeding group of youngsters.when you decide to return let me know and i will see what accommodation is available.
terry

#34 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:12 PM

Sounds like you are going to be a busy chap Terry. biggrin.gif You are soooo lucky to have lots of space!!

Paula x

#35 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Dec 20 2009, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like you are going to be a busy chap Terry. biggrin.gif You are soooo lucky to have lots of space!!

Paula x

hi Paula ,i do try to improve things every year if i can .although space is not really an issue enclosure cost's are.i seem to spend most of my time searching the field for self seeded shrubs and grass clumps to plant out the pens.now i just need a couple of old windows for Torties old enclosure so i can have a decent nest site (i hope ).you are welcome to come and see us if you are ever over here.
terry

#36 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (terrypin @ Dec 21 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi Paula ,i do try to improve things every year if i can .although space is not really an issue enclosure cost's are.i seem to spend most of my time searching the field for self seeded shrubs and grass clumps to plant out the pens.now i just need a couple of old windows for Torties old enclosure so i can have a decent nest site (i hope ).you are welcome to come and see us if you are ever over here.
terry

I would thoroughly recommend it! Oh and Thor's gorgous too! wub.gif

#37 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:04 PM

Oooooh thankyou! If I am in a position to take you up on your offer I will give you a very loud SHOUT!!
You might have to check my rucksack on the way out though!! biggrin.gif

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users