how often do i weigh them?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:20 PM

i havent weighed my torts since they went into the fridge 2 weeks ago,

im not sure how to do it because everytime i have checked on them there lil legs move in and out which is good..lol.. but i dont want to wake them up complety ..

but for there first hibernation im pretty pleased with the progress so far.. :) :) and im a lot more relaxed over the whole thing

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:35 PM

i weigh mine every sunday.it only takes a few seconds

#3 Guest_koopa_*

Guest_koopa_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:21 PM

i weigh mine every sat night,

it's really easy, just have the scales set up first then pop the tort on then back in the fridge quickly, it's really really easy.

mine does move her arms and legs about but keeps her eyes closed all the while. she might breath a bit heavy too but thats just cause i've disturbed her. although when i put her back her arms and legs shoot out and remain rigid until i just gently touch them then they bend a bit and i can get her back in ther box.

don't worry about it cause it really is easy!!
:D

#4 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:05 PM

clair, Its an important part of the weekly check to check thier reflexes, so the fact they move is a good thing!!

So yes i weigh mine once a week! Glad its going well.

#5 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

I only do mine monthly if that - if underground no-one does it. Always do in a cold, dimly lit area, quickly and in an upright position.

#6 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

I weigh them every one to two weeks. I try to make sure the fridge door is open only for a short time and get them back in as soon as possible.

#7 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:37 PM

I haven't weighed mine yet - I figure with 6 of them it'll mean the fridge door is open too long so I check mine every couple of days to make sure no wee and open the door regulary. I will probably try and weigh mine when they are half way

#8 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:08 AM

I weigh mine once a month. I do check once a fortnight to make sure they have not urinated.

#9 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:07 PM

weighed them today and not sure if there doing ok?

last weigh in was 18.12.09

boris 60g
betty 59g
boop 59g

tonights weights are 28-12-09

boris 56g
betty 57g
boop 58g

as you can see boris has lost the most with 4g but he was the one that wouldnt settle and he has moved about in his box (made a liar outta me as none of them have moved in there boxes apart from him now..lol)

so are they ok to leave or should i think about waking them incase they have wet?? there paper feels ok just cold of course will weigh them again next week to check for more weight loss unless of course you think i should wake them??

#10 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:15 PM

Tortoises will loose the most in the first week, as it does sometimes take them a little while to settle.

#11 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:20 PM

Oh, i thought i has to weigh them once a week! How do you mean do it in an upright position. I have been checking underneath mine.... I will do that holding them right way up in future.

#12 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:10 PM

I agree - they will also lose slightly more if put into a dry absorbent material to hibernate as this will draw moisture away from them. In soil the loss is 'usually' negligible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users