HIBERNATING TORT WAS LOOKING AT ME!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_dewsy_*

Guest_dewsy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

Does a tortoises metabolism only kick in if he is fully warm again? or does it do it straight away as soon as they have woke up? It's just that I'm thinking what Dawn said about him probably not being fully warmed up so I suppose he wasn't fully brought out of his hibernation. However if you still think then there may be possible risks involved then I will have to get him up.

#22 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:48 AM

I have always understood that the glycogen boost was to aid the final waking process and to jolt it's system into 'active mode' again in readiness for the spring, which would make me think that the boost occurs as it is waking and not later. Personally I would not risk it, but as already mentioned I don't think anyone can really say what you have to do, it has to be your choice based on the facts available. Sorry not to be of more help.

#23 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

im no expert, but i got my boys up because they were wide awake and walking around. the temp was 10c and had been for no more than a couple of hours i reckon.

I think smaller tortoises react very quickly to change in temperatures. I was shocked to see them awake so quickly at 10c when they have been in hibernation for so long.

and when we made the decision to get them up they were as if they had never been asleep , very quickly and eating etc.

Its your choice of course. Dont think you have failed him. Just ask the experts on here and go with thier years of experience. You wont fail your tortoise, but you may improve things for him.

Regards. mark

#24 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

That's right Mark, it 'may' or 'may not' be OK to leave them in, but it certainly will not kill them to get them up and have peace of mind. It's not written in stone of course, wherever you get your info, regardless of what some *disciples* will tell you<g>, but here is the TT's advice on the issue http://www.tortoiset...es/wakingup.htm

#25 Guest_dewsy_*

Guest_dewsy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

I will probably get him up after following your advice, but what difference would it make me waking him up now or lets say in another week or so? He still seems alright and is moving when I touch his leg. I'm still unsure what to do!

#26 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

The difference, I imagine could be the same as life and death. If the boost has been lost and he is now very cold and with declining reserves, it seems fairly obvious that each week that goes by will contribute to the tortoises decline. That's how I see it anyway, as I say it's your decision. I have rehabbed tortoises with post hibernation anorexia though and it's not just as simple as warming them up - one needed tubing with glucose for a couple of weeks before we saw any change at all, a very scary time to be honest, even the vet was not sure what to do next. Luckily it eventually turned a corner and has hibernated succesfully every year since.

#27 Guest_dewsy_*

Guest_dewsy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:20 AM

I just want to thank you for all your advice. I got Toby up this morning (only took him 5mins to wake up when placed in a warm room) and gave him a long bath. He had a good drink and even ate some food an hour later. Feel so much better now that he seems alright. I tell you what I've learned my lesson about the fridge door and I'll be more confident when I do this again next winter. Thanks again Joanne

#28 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

i think you did the right thing all in all. He may have been ok, but now you know hes ok. Thats the difference. I think 16c was to warm, especially when i think of mine awake at 10c!!

the fact he was wide awake with his eyes open, and on the move means things were kicking in. Maybe he still had some glycogen in his system when you just woke him to help things along??

And he probably hasnt had the chance to get into deep hibernation again, which is a good thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users