oh my goodness!!! power cut!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:44 PM

Just got home after an evening out, no electric!

Alarms going off on fridge. I got the electric on which had tripped,

The temps in the fridge are about 9.9-10

I looked in and onion the one ive been worried about sure isnt dead! he is awake i think, looking through the side of the box, it seems.

Pickle is on the move to. 1st time in 5 weeks.

I hope you havnt all gone to bed yet because i dont know what to do now! Obviously the fridge is now cooling down.

I dont know if they have had thier chemical boost thier body gives them, what do you think???

Do i need to get them up now? do i leave them tonight and do it tomorrow.

Do i just leave them??

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:50 PM

Do you know how long the temp has been at 9 - 10 degrees? As the tort is sitting in a box full of cold soil then I would imagine they would be ok for a bit, but if they had been at those temps for a while then the chances are they have warmed. Are their eye's open? Are they moving around? If so then Im afraid its a late night for you!

#3 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

we have been out for about 3 hours. i dont know how long they have been awake.

I just checked them and they are strolling around!!

Right i think decision made. they are going to have to be woken up..........

#4 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

Yes it looks like it hun :( Sorry it ended like this, at least you tried ;)

Assuming you have some food for them? Let us know how it goes

#5 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:06 PM

ha, thanks dawn.

No we have no food! My wife has gone for floretti!

Im going out with a torch for dandelions!

Im going to set up the table now. Should i just go on the tpg web site and follow thier wake up guide??

Anything i should bear in mind?

Thanks for your help. Glad you were about!

#6 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

No probs Mark, its a shame but well, s**t happens as they say - better to be safe then sorry! :rolleyes:

I bring them out into room temperature, once they are moving around/awake, I give them a cool bath, let them wake a bit more then give them a warmer bath and put them under the heat lamp and offer food. I continue to give them baths (short & warm) until they eating. Usually this happens quickly but it can take them a few hours. For the next few days give them 1 - 2 baths a day in warm water. Once they poo/wee normally I revert back to normal routine.

#7 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:42 PM

yes, well..... thanks for ya help.

Both of thier eyes were open. Within a couple of minutes of being out of the fridge, they were trying to climb out of thier boxes!!!

I guess so far im relieved they seem to be waking up ok.

Ill give them a while then its the bath!

I reckon i would have woken onion at the weekend because i was worried about him, but he seems fine so far. Its quite amazing watching them wide awake after hibernating for 5 weeks. Seems to quick! It seems this waking up should take a lot longer.!!

Thanks a lot for your help again dawn, for me its a beer and a long night!!

#8 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:59 AM

To wake them, just put them in a normal temperature room for about an hour, to allow their body temps to rise a little. Then put them near a light, so they can choose to go under it when they are ready. Let them bask for about two hours, or when they seem warm to the touch. Then bathe them, to allow them to drink if they need it.
Give them a check over, clear eyes, dry nose, and a clean mouth.
Then back to basking.
They might not eat for a couple of days, some eat straight away others take longer. But hydration is more important than food.
Then back to the normal routine of keeping a tortoise:0)

#9 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:25 AM

Hi Mark,
That's another two of our gang up then.... we shall be looking to you for our torty 'fix' while the others sleep!
At least they were given the opportunity, and we can all learn for the future...
Now you will just have to remember where you last saw those weeds! :rolleyes:

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users