dead in shell

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

in am totaly f****** broken i split the last batch of eggs day 90 or so.and their are two dead torts in them.one is fully formed and the other haif formed!!!why has this happened???poor little things.what have i done to them????

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

Awwww Noooooo!!

Bruce that's terrible news. I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your questions but hopefully someone will be along soon.
Just wanted to say sorry to hear your news.

Paula x

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

Unfortunatley it does happen. I have had this happen in the past too, its horrible. As far as I know, nobody can or will answer this question.
Humidity in the incubator might have something to do with it. I have also had hatchlings sideways on that cant hatch because their is not enough room for them to knock the shell with the egg tooth.
And I know that I dont turn the eggs.
You just have to put it down to experience:0(

#4 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

thanks paula and sandy i cant remember ever feeling so bad

#5 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

bruce, im so sad for you mate.

Im sure its nothing you have done wrong its just one of those things...

One thing ive learnt after being on this forum is that we all want the best for our tortoises and will do whatever we can for them. So dont blame yourself.

You have done all you can.

#6 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

I know, it's a horrible feeling Bruce. One year I left my incubator with a housesitter who was watching the torts. She rang me and checked what temps it should be which rang alarm bells. All seemed fine on my return but when they did not start to hatch I too opened them. All were dead apart from my beloved Button who had no eye openings. It HAD to do with a temperature blip, I will never know the whole reason obviously but at least Button made it through. As Sandy says it could also be down to humidity levels. There are lots of reasons but that is not to say you will not get it right next time. Just don't blame yourself as it's not always something obvious. Next time do things slightly differently, maybe a slightly lower temp or use more than one thermometer in case one is failing. Use more water and put a hair hygrometer in with the eggs. Anything just to make a slight change.

#7 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

hi i was using an r 20 pro incubator.sopose to be top of the range!!!!!the humidity wasnt great on it so their was always a full tub of warm water in it.i have now got the r 20 standard bought as a christmas presant to myself.it seems a lot better no bother with the humidity at all.one of the babys must of just died he just looks like he is sleeping.i just hope it dosnt happen to the other to eggs i have!!!!!

#8 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

Aw Bruce thats' terrible news. We know how much time and concern you had loaded into the eggs. But Sandy and Sue have said that this is something that can happen to any breeder and there isn't any reason to think you did anything wrong. Nature can be very cruel at times.

I'd be asking myself some hard questions if it happenned to me, but we've heard from a couple of people who have helped many a tortoise into the world and I hope you can believe them. Jonathan

#9 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:15 PM

All breeders have been there at one time Bruce. I know how it feels to just want it to wake up especially as they look so perfect. Do you remember which way round it was in the egg ie head in the pointy end or the more usual hatch approach from the long side of the egg? I use a hovabator incubator, it's very basic but allows me to cover the entire bottom with water which I do all the time now. I have a home made one too which works on the same principal. I've also used a Novatel one in the past which works by a light bulb and the same principal applies re water - use as much as you can. I think you will find the most common problem is anoxia due to the baby not getting enough oxygen when getting near to hatching. Don't beat yourself up :(

#10 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

the head was at the pointy end.do you think the r20 is no use for torts?i have them in a tub of soil in the incubator.temp is 31.5 and humidity is 70 dose this sound rite?i had been looking for movment in the eggs but never seen any.should i put more tubs with water in the incubator?thanks for your time

#11 Guest_Stevei_*

Guest_Stevei_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:18 PM

:( sorry to hear you news Bruce but hopefully you will have more luck in the future

#12 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:38 PM

It was probably struggling to get out then - it's difficult for them to reach with the egg tooth in this position.

It's difficult to say - is it very enclosed i.e. not a lot of room for ventilation?

Humidity sounds sounds fine - don't go much lower than 70 though if you can help it especially towards the end of incubation
i had been looking for movment in the eggs but never seen any.should i put more tubs with water in the incubator?thanks for your time

If you can flood the bottom then I would do this, if not, then just add more tubs and put a sponge in to spread the surface area

#13 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:15 AM

Sorry to hear this Bruce :( I'm sure, no I KNOW you tried your best for them :wub:

#14 Guest_wilsonathome_*

Guest_wilsonathome_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:19 PM

that's happened to me in the past too :( i was convinced that i had done something wrong! it upset me terrible
i also think that a too high/low temparature or humidity change at some point could have caused it? a high airflow over the eggs can lead to a loss of water which ultimately causes dehydration, maybe i'd kept the incubator open a bit too long during candling?
it was the 1st time i'd used a proper incubator, i'd previously had lots of success with a homemade polystyrene box conversion!
i know how you feel, good luck with the rest of your eggs :)

#15 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

thanks everyone for your kind words.just have to pick myself up and pray to any god that will listen!!!!make sure the other two come in to the world healthy thanks again

#16 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

I once bought a poultry incubator and was not happy with the amount of air flow, it was fan assisted. I put it on ebay straight away and went back to my still air one before it caused any problems - could this have been the problem with yours Bruce? I would personally not go for fan assisted ones, especially with torts taking so much longer to hatch than chicks.

#17 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

No offence but I would kick that in the head - he never listened to me lol.

#18 Guest_Smudgley_*

Guest_Smudgley_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:42 PM

I've never incubated a tortoise egg, so can't offer any advice there, (never even owned a tortoise -yet-) but just wanted to say don't beat yourself up over it. I keep poultry & incubate eggs on a regular basis, sometimes it's a really successful hatch & other times not, for various reasons, the only thing I know for sure is that I always do what I feel is right as I'm sure you have done, so please don't blame yourself. :)

#19 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

awww im so sorry this has happened ive been following your egg post since you put them in the incubater,
hard not to feel bad but as other have said dont beat yourself up over it, others have had the same happen to them dust yaself off and think good thoughts for future eggs xx

good luck with the remaining eggs.

#20 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

good luck with the remaining eggs.

thanks again every one.if it happens again i have been told i mite have to brake into the egg!!!god dont want to do that!!!how do you break into an egg without hurting the tort?????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users