dead in shell

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:13 PM

sad to hear your news Bruce,dont blame yourself,best of luck with the other eggs
Jay and H

#22 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:02 PM

Hi Bruce
If you DO have to do this then use a sharp implement and chip away very very slowly and carefully at the pointy end of the egg as this is where the baby tortoise cannot reach fully. Anywhere along the long end and there is more of a danger of slipping and causing injury.
Hope this helps, fingers crossed.

#23 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:15 PM

thanks sue.not to keen on using this incubator anymore.have you got a pic of your home made incubator?i did have a home made one before but the stat went on it so i thought i would get an up grade!!i think i will go back to the home made one now just to see if it makes a diffrance.i have to travel 130miles tomorrow to get a new stat!!!!

#24 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:39 PM

Hi Bruce
I don't have a pic of it and it's currently packed away in the garage until next spring. What it is though basically is a polystyrene box with lid, the sort that aquarist shops use for transporting live fish. It's around 26 inches x 12 inches. In the bottom I have a wire cake cooling rack on which stands a tray to take the boxes of eggs in vermiculite. I use a heat mat to raise the temps which stands on it's side inside, around the back and two sides of the box. This runs through a pulse proportional stat with the probe in the vermiculite with the eggs. I used to have a bowl of water at the side of the eggs but now flood the bottom of the box so that humidity is more widely spread. I have a few holes in one end of the top of the box for air circulation and have the wires trailing through an indentation between the lid and bottom of the box. I have sealed the wires to this indentation with aquarium sealant to stop the probe slipping and giving a false reading. Hope this helps. If you like, I will set this up for you tomorrow and take pics.

#25 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:44 PM

if its not to much trouble and you have the time that would be great sue.your a star thanks

#26 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:03 AM

So sorry, but like loads have said- it isn't ur fault. Not all eggs hatch and not all babies live no matter if they are tortoise, dogs or even humans!

Just cross ur fingers for the others and best wishes for ur future babies- u will be a tort parent yet hun xx

#27 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:46 PM

made a new incubator today.had to travel about 130miles each way in a snow storm!!!!to get a stat for it.got snow into the side of a great hill and had to wait for the snow plow to save us!!!but anyway we got free.here is a pic what do you think?i have a baking tray on the bottem under that is a heat mat.in the big tub is half full of water.then in more little tubs of soil i wll put the eggs in them.i will put theprobe in one of the egg tubs

#28 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

That looks brilliant Bruce. Sorry I've not been able to do pics today but the batteries were flat in my flipping camera. Mine is just like that though - just be careful that the probe does not slip or you will get a false reading. Don't forget the air holes too. If you are using soil to incubate, then I would mist the soil lightly before putting the eggs in. Blimey where do you live to have to travel that far - good job you got back in one piece.
Take care
Sue

#29 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

thats oc sue as long as you think it will do the job?about the holes what if i stick some 10mm pipe through the lid a few times?i live near jon o groats.the nearist city is 100 mile away(inverness) and it dosnt have a reptile shop so had to go to the next one elgin!will be worth it.if it makes the eggs hatch

#30 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:27 PM

day 58 for my egg.came home from work and their is a chip out of it!!!!!i cant see any movment in the egg!!could this one be dying to!!!!!should i try to breack into the egg?????

#31 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:34 PM

dont disturb it leave it in the incubator in the dark .what i do is fold up a piece of wet kitchen roll to rest the egg in so it doesnt get dehydrated in there.i have cleared around the face at times to be sure it is the correct way up then you can spray the egg with water to keep it moist.it is better if they stay in the egg until all the yolk sac is absorbed .
terry
Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:40 PM

thanks terry.the chip wasnt their last nite but was their at t time.just a bit worried as they died in the egg last time.how long dose it take for it to move about and start getting out?
thanks again

#33 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:23 PM

hi i would try and see if it is the correct way up then leave it in some moist kitchen roll in the dark of the incubator .you can check again tomorrow morning but it could be 12 to 24 hours befire it makes an appearance some can take 48 hours .i dont get impatient these days and appreciate the beneifits of it staying in the egg until the yolk is all gone then they can go straight in the table and any earlier hatchlings cant nip at the yolk sac.
terry

#34 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

cant see what way it is!!i have it in wet kitchen roll.it is only a small chip out one end of the egg.i hope its oc

#35 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:02 PM

im sure its fine,just leave it in the incubator and check again tomorrow morning it may have made the hole bigger .dont worry if it hasnt though it may stay put until later in the day.
terry

#36 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:14 PM

thanks terry i am a reck!!!can you remember your first to pip??thought i would be happy but iam not!!will be wen i can see some movment in it
thanks

bruce

#37 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:30 PM

Something tells me you won't be getting too much sleep tonight Bruce!

The forum 'aunties' are preparing to 'cluck'. :D

Everything very tightly crossed... in the absence of being able to offer advice!

Hang on in there...

Paula x

#38 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:54 PM

Terry is giving great advice, exactly what I do. Although I must say, I use my heated propagator to keep an eye on the egg during the day. I like to see whats happening. But the egg always goes back in the incubator at night.
Fingers crossed he/she has hatched in the morning.
I didnt see my first hatchling pip, she hatched in the airing cupboard over night, and was a complete shock to find. But a happy one.

#39 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

yes i wish i had window on top to see what happening.will just forget about it until the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#40 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

You wont forget, you will be up and down during the night, just like Christmas:0)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users