upside down tort 2 times omg

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

ok my lil guy boris (who is turning out to be the rebel of my three)

fell out of his box and landed upside down on the door shelf i was in the room so luckily heard it and got to him straight away i pooped him back into the centre of his box and covered him again, went out to shops and told my daughter to keep check whilst we were gone (we left the drill on charge to put holes in the box lid)
anyway came home and went and checked and again he was upside down on teh door shelf now i cant say how long he was upside down for it could of been 20mins it could of been 2 as my daughter had been checking but she cant remeber if it was 20mins before i found him,

question is why is he moving around so much? do i wake him?? he is still fast asleep the lid now has holes drilled into it and i have put it on his box is this ok?? does anyone have lids fastened onto there boxes?????

betty and boop are fine not moved so still ok with there cardboard over there boxes..

weighed them the other night and there weights have not changed at all so really pleased with that,,

what do i do with boris? will his upside down tricks off harmed him??

advice please :unsure:

#2 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:49 PM

Maybe your temps are not low enough(or maybe too cold) , is he a russian? Personally I would not hibernate a tortoise in an open box as there is a very real danger of freezing if they were to reach the back of the fridge. Air holes are not so important so long as any lids are not tight fitting. Breathing should be to a minimum during hibernation so not a lot of air exchange is needed.

#3 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

no i have hermanns the temp have always been between 5-6c only went up to 8 a few weeks ago when i took a tad to long on there first frdige weigh in...

#4 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

It's normal for some movement - are your boxes full of substrate and they are just falling off the top?

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

I agree with Sue, the temps are not cold enough for this tortoise to hibernate. If they were he wouldnt keep falling out of the box. Sometimes you have to make sure the temps for stubbon tortoises is just a bit lower than 5c, so they actually go into the hibernation mode.
My tortoises that are boxed up, are in an A4 paper box, with shredded paper, lid on, then this A4 box is put inside a large polystyrene box with shredded paper around the A4 box. Then the lid put on the polybox. I keep them in my garage. In one of the boxes I keep a thermometer with a prob, so I can monitor the temps inside the box.

#6 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

well since i have two torts rather happy with the temps shall i just move boris further back into the fridge then? and try him with a lower temp??

he is in a box with shredded newspaper (now with lid on..lol) not once has he open his eyes so im persuming he is still fast asleep and sleep walking.lol

im just worried with the fact he was upside down will it affect him in anyway,

feb 13th is there wake up day for there first hibernation im only doing the 8 weeks. im hoping he is going to last till then ohmy.gif

forgot to add today is the only time boris has fell out the box before today he has only turned around

#7 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:03 PM

Hi Clair,

In my fridge one of the shelves is cooler than the other, with others saying he is not cold enough perhaps if your fridge is the same you could swap which shelf his box is on? Just a thought as you know this is my first hibernation too!

Paula x

#8 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:08 PM

ive pushed him a touch further to the back and will order another 2 temp alarms because i now feel i need one in each box,

i could try another shelf paula i never thought of that thanks xx boris and boop are on the middle shelf were as betty has the bottom shelf so i may move the temp thing to the top shelf and see what it is up there.... as betty and boop are very happy were they are its just boris being the rebel and messing me up..lol

#9 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

How are you coping with the temps at the moment Sandy? My background heat is kicking in constantly this last few weeks. Roll on the pensioners winter fuel payment!

#10 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:06 PM

I have mine in the garage, and the temps are still at around 5c, they may go a little below, but quite good. I do have a heater in there for when the temps do drop.

#11 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:17 PM

Mine are currently sitting at 5 too but have gone as low as 3.1 this year. Must be this -10 we keep getting - do you have any underground still and if so, do you put temp probes down there? I am thinking of getting my son to dig a hibernation pit for next year, he doesn't know it yet though!

#12 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:14 AM

Yes I still have some dug down in the greenhouses.
The heaters are coming on when really cold, as there is no snow on the GH's. But I do go out to check them.
I even had two lots of boxies dug in outside (previous years ok) now one of the boxies had a bit of a runny nose two years ago, and because the temps have been so cold, I decided to dig them up and box them. I wish now I had left them, as I could dig down easily in the soil, and when I got them out, they did feel cold but not freezing. So I think I had them well insulated on top of how much soil they had dug down in. I had bubble wrap (I had the only piece of carpet on the other boxies) and one of the car frost protectors on top of that, then the coldframe on top.
Its all a learning curve with boxies.
All the scary talk made me jittery, about leaving the boxies down, as they are reasonably new to me.
But will go with my instincts next time:0)

#13 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:13 PM

I don't keep boxies but going by very reliable sources of people who do, it would seem that the less interference they have over winter, the better - one well known keeper has only had problems when intervening over winter. Apparently they often pop up in severely cold weather and go back to sleep when they feel like it with no adverse effects, something tortoise keepers would never advocate. It just goes to show that we should never assume that two subspecies need the same hibernation care.

#14 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:24 PM

My three toed boxies, will and have popped up during the Winter, but since I have had them, we have not had such severe weather. And the two I got up and boxed are two different ones to the three toed, and as I said one had had a runny nose previously. So didnt want her to freeze. I do have one experienced keeper I know who helps me with infor when needed. He has been keeping and breeding them for years.

#15 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:37 PM

It wasn't a criticism :unsure:

#16 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

I didnt think it was:0)

#17 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*