Boy Or Girl?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Saracen+Delilah_*

Guest_Saracen+Delilah_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

My two Hermann tortoises are from different hatches but were both born around the 22/06/07 (making them about 2 years and 7 months).

I am uncertain what sex they are and whether they are too big for their age, as one is much bigger than the other. The one that is bigger seems to be the boy as he/she has a longer tale although I am not sure.
Bigger tortoise - weighs around 13oz! - is this too much for its age?
smaller tortoise - 5.2oz
As you can see there is a huge difference in weight and it is really worrying me. Do you think there is a problem with one being so big and the other not?

My guesses are that the bigger tortoise is a male and the smaller is a female, however I am unsure on the smaller.

please tell me what you think about their sex and weight

(i am also really worried that the bigger one is eating too much as I have just researched about Pyramiding shells.)

THANKS

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:05 PM

I am having an educated guess at two females:0) But they are still small and could change suddenly by the tail growing much longer:0)

#3 Guest_Saracen+Delilah_*

Guest_Saracen+Delilah_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

Thankyou for the reply.
so do you think that they look ok (in size and weight described - also the bigger ones shell- do you think that looks ok?)
and wow, i would have guessed at two boys, but hopefully they wont be as this means they are likely to fight?

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

It is just an educated guess, I could be wrong:0)

As for the weights, most keepers weigh in grams, and I cant convert from ounces to grams.
I am of the older generation, who didnt do grams, but once I got into tortoises, everyone seems to be metric. So I have always weighed them in metric, even if it means nothing to me:0)

#5 Guest_Saracen+Delilah_*

Guest_Saracen+Delilah_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

the weights in Grams are about
smaller - about 144grams
Bigger tortoise - about 369 grams!

^ is this difference in weight bad seeing as they were both born around the same time?

#6 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

Hi

If i were to guess I would say one male and one female. But as already explained things could change as they get older. And also, regular members will know, I'm not the best at guessing the sex of tortoises. :wub:

As for weight and size difference, I also have two 07 hemran tortoises, and looking at yours is just like looking at Dora and Phoebe. Although they were both the same size when I had them, Dora now weighs 260 grammes and Phoebe weighs in at 120 grammes. I have since found out that Dora is actually Male!!!! Due to a flashing on Boxing Day. I just can't decide what to call him yet. (think he will always be Dora)

The size difference is very noticeable with them, and Dora's shell is slightly pyramiding the same as your largest. I have virtually cut Dora's food in take in half, but she still gains weight. She has been checked over by the vet a couple of times, and she doesn't seem unduly concerned at the moment. Dora is far more active, adventurous and happy than Phoebe, who is very sensitive, and shy.

When I get a minute I will try and post some pictures of the differences in the size of Dora and Phoebe, so you can see them.

Gail
xxx

#7 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

I think tortoises are just like people. They come in all different sizes with different personalities.

Hope this helps you stop worrying quite so much.

Gail
xx

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

Hi there, welcome to the forum. :D

The little guys do vary in size and weight.
I have two torts the same age as yours. Bailey is the biggest at 64g and Baby Boo is 50g.

There is some pyramiding, which cannot be undone, but they are young and any changes you find you need to make can only improve things for their future. There are lots of people on this site who can offer you good advice.

What are you feeding them? How much do you give them? What kind of set up do you use? Are they bathed regularly? How long have you had them?
The more info you can supply the more help you willl be given! :)

Paula x

#9 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

Saracen+Delilah

If thats the correct weight for a two and a half year old, that is at least double what she should weigh:0(
The smaller one is probably about right for that age, but the larger one is far too big. But as they are from Slovinia she might well be a lot older than two and half.
And females are generally larger than males:0)
I will say there is only slight pyramiding showing from the angle in the picture on the smaller tortoise, but much more on the larger one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users