Pyramiding

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

Attached File  075.JPG   492.39KB   115 downloadsAttached File  025.JPG   1.09MB   99 downloads

Hi

I am trying to add some photo's of Cola, my 4 year old Hermann as I have read several posts about pyramiding and now realise her shell is considerably worse than any I have seen before. I bought her in may last year from a lady who was selling her as her son had lost interest in her angry.gif I am 100% sure I am doing everything right for her now as I read the post on here daily.
I am having real trouble loading photo's from my computer, any advice would be appreciated. I have loaded some photo's onto photobucket but how do you get these onto this site?

many thanks
Jeanette

please ignore the last comment,i think i have sussed it out!!! Attached File  018.JPG   1.25MB   99 downloadsAttached File  049.JPG   1.12MB   98 downloads

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

Hi hun, most (if not all) of the damage had been done a long time ago and there's nothing you can do to change her shell now. All you can do is prevent it getting any worse by providing her with the correct diet and husbandry.

Except her for who she is - lumps and bumps and enjoy the rest of her long life with her! My two big females are both extremely lumpy:
Grace

Tally

Both of these two are UK captive bred, and where obtained from the breeder that bred them and has both their parents who themselves are UKCB, they are actually sisters. All her torts live a 'natural' life outdoors with a very large greenhouse and both UV & heat lamps, all her torts are hibernated every year (she has over 30!) The only thing that we can assume contributed to their shell is diet - up until about 8yrs ago (approx) they were fed what was considered the 'normal' diet for torts - cabbage, lettace, greens, fruit etc.

#3 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:07 AM

Hi Jeanette. You might be right about some pyramiding having hapenned but the Cola looks great! Its very difficult to grow them as smooth as Sandy did with the photo she posted a few weeks ago. I don't think Cola knows about her pyramiding and if she is healthy and thriving then it might not matter much at all. Probably at some stage she had too much rich food but nothing can be done about that now. I wouldn't worry too much, sometimes we might get too obsessed with the shape of the shell like we do with our own bodies!

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:41 AM

I cant add much more than what has already been said. Except that if you feed the correct diet, let your tortoise out in the Summer, and just generally keep researching your tortoise will not get any worse:0)

#5 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:03 AM

Hi Jeanette, I wouldn't worry about the pyramiding on your tort, just enjoy her and give her the best you can. If you look in the photo gallery and search for My Boy, my re homer you can see how bad he is!!! I can't change the way he looks as the damage was done before I had him, but we love him he's a great character.

#6 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

Thankyou all so much for your kind comments. Cola has become my substitute baby and is loved to bits and totally doted on.. actually i am sure she looks at me sometimes and begs me to leave her alone and give her some peace and quiet.

#7 Guest_Ole Nielsen_*

Guest_Ole Nielsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

http://www.testudo-f...n_of_humps.html

#8 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:45 PM

The website you found that on is Wolfgangs website, can I just say if you haven't already got it, his book is fantastic and by far the best and most interesting one I've read.

#9 Guest_Ole Nielsen_*

Guest_Ole Nielsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

Ill copy that.

#10 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:45 PM

Yes I also like Wolfgangs book. But the statement in the extract that tortoises absorb water through the skin is not the general view. Many people who have studied tortoises say that the skin is not permeable at all and just as well because the tortoise has to be an expert at retaining water.

Its an excellent book but like any other it has its limitations. I have a lot of issues with Wolfgan's edible plant list as well, as it included items like daffodil bulbs which elsewehere are described as highly toxic. His plant list may well apply to hermanns in the wild but to feed captive tortoises on some of the plants on his list could be very risky.

I think the research about humidity and shell growth by John Coote has been a big influence. I believe it was that research that highlighted the importance of external humidity and not just water to drink.

You might be interested in this link here where a device for raising humidity is described : http://home.earthlin...dnine/micro.htm

I haven't done it -but I might!

#11 Guest_Ole Nielsen_*

Guest_Ole Nielsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:06 AM

Im sure they can absorb moisture through the skin , just think of tortoise hibernating and how important it is that the soil is humid.

Pyramiding is a thing we all try to avoid , but its very hard . A lot of people are doing all they can, but still their tortoises doesnt grow smootly.
In my household im trying to feed correctly ( only weeds ) and not too much ! Far too many tortoises are overfed ! Remember tortoises turn allmost all they eat into growth and NOT to keep their
bodytemp . My hatchlings from 09 are fed and having light/heat twice a week only. Why ?
Because they should still be hibernating ,they would in nature and they all looking fine and weights fine , too
Hay and water is allways avaible.

UV-B/Vitamin D3 is offcourse very important.

There should be places for the tortoise to go to where theres dry and where theres humid , too. Just raising the overall humidity is a bad idea .
When Im saying tortoise I only mean european tortoises, testudo. ( If we are talking fx Geochelones its a completely different thing)
I necer bathed my turtles, but lately Ive started to try to check , if all "use" the water dish regularly and if not ill just gently place the tortoise in it and leave it.
Some stay for a while and others crawls out in a hurry.

According to the edible plants , toxic plants are eaten by Testudos In my household some plants , which is toxic are eaten sometimes.(fx Ivy)
Could be a deworming thing , because Ive never dewormed mine and until now Ive never seen a worm.

#12 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:21 PM

Thank you for your thoughts Ole. I agree with you - raising overall humidity being a bad idea, we must rty and offer choices. I feel the humidityis more of an issue indoors. In my climate I have to keep them inside my home part of the year and it is here that the humidity is lowest. The gadget to which I posted a link is supposed to raise the humidity in a small area, but as I say I haven't tried it.

I use a slightly damp soil for my tortoises to hibernate in and I agree this helps them to conserve moisture. I am not convinced they absorb water through the skin, but if the soil is too dry this can draw the moisture out through the skin and then it is lost to evaporation.

I am interested in your routine for your little ones. Perhaps what you to is to copy the spring weather in nature when only some days would be good enough for eating and basking?

#13 Guest_tortoise09_*

Guest_tortoise09_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:05 PM

Jeanette
i think your tortoise look lovely ,

#14 Guest_Bethan_*

Guest_Bethan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:01 PM

This whole thread and really chilled me out about my tortoise. He's not got a perfectly smooth shell, but it hasn't got any worse over the last year, so I'm trying to just chill out about it and this has helped!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users