Natural wormers

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

Hi everyone
I have read somewhere that butternut squash is a natural wormer. I have bought one but am unsure how to prepare it for my two torts or how much to give them. Could anyone please enlighten me ?

Thanks.

Jackie

Proud owner of Esmeralda and Herman.

#2 Guest_koopa_*

Guest_koopa_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

Hi,

I believe that pumpkin is also a natural wormer. i gave it to my tort before the wind down for hibernation.

i just gave her pretty much just what she wanted to eat for a day. i would prob only give it one day and see how they go. don't think they are meant to eat it all the time.

i hand fed mine and when she had enough she walked away. i would still put out 'normal' food as well tho.

i'm sure someone more up on this subject will help you better as they come along.

Katie x

#3 Guest_koopa_*

Guest_koopa_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

oh and i just cut the skin off and fed the flesh bit to her in tort bite size pieces., not the seeds tho!

#4 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (koopa @ Jan 26 2010, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh and i just cut the skin off and fed the flesh bit to her in tort bite size pieces., not the seeds tho!

i am sure in one of my books its says its the casing of the seeds is the wormer and not the flesh!i could be wrong though!!!!

#5 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

I also read somewhere that cauliflower florets have the same power!

Pat

#6 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

I agree with Bruce about the squash seeds although I can't rmember where I saw it. I don't know about cauliflower having any anti worm properties. I suspect the effect of these things is limited and although I've fed the butternut squash very occasionally (grated) I personally don't have any faith in its anti worm ability.

#7 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:23 AM

I grate mine or leave it in chunks for them to nibble on. Raw not cooked!

#8 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

My tort H loves butternut squosh i have yet to try my new horsefield but if i now Becky already she will prbably love it as she seems to enjoy her food,i remove the skin and seeds and chop into very small pieces also dont cook it leave it raw,apparantley its an excellent wormer.

#9 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (jay @ Jan 28 2010, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My tort H loves butternut squosh i have yet to try my new horsefield but if i now Becky already she will prbably love it as she seems to enjoy her food,i remove the skin and seeds and chop into very small pieces also dont cook it leave it raw,apparantley its an excellent wormer.

Its the seeds that are the wormer, they contain cu curbitin. The flesh is merely fruit, nothing more.

#10 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

Thank you all for your answers to this topic. Once again, I am very grateful for all of the advice given.

Kind regards

Jackie

#11 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:10 AM

If you want to keep any new worms away, fine, but if you think your tort has worms you can't beat the proper worming stuff.

#12 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

Hi
I will have to give some seeds i have always given the fruit as i read in a magazine it was the fruit i wish i had kept the magazine,my H loves the fruit.
Jay

#13 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

Fruit is a no no, as are seeds.

#14 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Jan 29 2010, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fruit is a no no, as are seeds.

Why are the seeds a no no? They are a natural wormer and far more natural than say chemicals in panacur. Obviously if there is a reason such as being toxic in other ways then I agree, but if people are only using this as a one off for its vermifugal action then surely natural has to outweigh chemical, which can linger for quite a time. Panacur is not a good idea before hibernation for this reason but cu curbitin apparently passes through the system quickly I am told, unless my sources are wrong of course!

#15 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

Each to their own way of thinking. I never medicate with anything unless I have too.

Why are the seeds a no no? They are a natural wormer and far more natural than say chemicals in panacur. Obviously if there is a reason such as being toxic in other ways then I agree, but if people are only using this as a one off for its vermifugal action then surely natural has to outweigh chemical, which can linger for quite a time. Panacur is not a good idea before hibernation for this reason but cu curbitin apparently passes through the system quickly I am told, unless my sources are wrong of course!
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users