Humidity in Eggs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_docturgonzo_*

Guest_docturgonzo_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:55 PM

Hi guys. I have had 4 eggs incubating and they are currently on day 28. I have candelled them and two show signs of fertility , viens and a small (about half a centimeter) dark blob in one corner. THe other two dont.

My question is that when i checked them today i noticed that the vermiculite had totally dried out to the point of been flakey. I obviously thew this out and added loads more and made sure it was moist again and sealed the egg tub but will this early 3-4 weeks of dry vermiculite have a negative effect on the egg development. WIll they still be ok?

Regards Andy

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:08 PM

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum from me & mine :wub:

Eggs aren't my forte, I'm afraid you need to wait for either Darran (Boss), Terry (Terrypin), Sandy (Cyberangel) or Sue (Wizzasmum) to come on as all 4 of them have a few years of breeding under their belt! I'm sure they will be along shortly, failing that you could PM one or all of them - I'm sure they won't mind.

I did have some eggs last year but unfortunatly only was fertile and hatched.

It might be an idea to say what incubator your using, what breed/sub species the torts are, and whether or not this is your first experience of eggs.....

Keep us updated as we all love to get broody over eggs!!!!!! :wub:

#3 Guest_docturgonzo_*

Guest_docturgonzo_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome Dawn

I looked back at your egg posts from a while ago and it appers you went through a very nerve racking time.

The torts in question are Hermanns.. Testudo hermanni

The eggs seem fine in general but they do feel rather dry to the touch and really chalky but i read that could be a good thing.

I have had 4 clutches of eggs with this particular pair and only one clutch Clutch 2 has been fertile.

These eggs are larger then any others and two appear totally empty and glow a light yellow colour but the other two appear to glow a reddy orange colour and there are definataly a few small veins and on one egg a couple of thick red viens too. And both have a small dark blob on the bottom kind of corner part.

Im assuming these two are fertile from what i have seen before and read on the net but then could be totally wrong.

Hope someone can let me know if they will be ok soon

THnks again

#4 Guest_wilsonathome_*

Guest_wilsonathome_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:32 PM

the 2 that are reddy-orange definately sound fertile :) congrats!! lots of breeders use damp vermiculite to start off
i've never had the problem with dryness (touch wood) my humidity is always set to levels of 70% and temps are 31-32
be careful not to touch the eggs if you can help it, i know it's too much of a temptation but movement can be fatal
i also open the lid of my incubator, just briefly, daily for the air to flow on top of the eggs
maybe check your humidity and temps and spray the vermiculite lightly if needed, i keep a few tubs of water inside the incubator to help with humidity levels and top the tubs up if humidity levels fall

#5 Guest_docturgonzo_*

Guest_docturgonzo_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

Thanks guys for the piece of mind

Just another note. The incubator hovers around 32 to 32.7 is this too high or is it ok. ?

Regards

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:36 PM

Firstly never give up on eggs, I have a few times thought eggs were infertile, only for them to hatch:0)
I use a home made incubator, I never wet the vermiculite, I set the eggs in the vermiculite in a container, on a metal rack. I also put a wide topped container filled with water in, and top up when it goes down. Humidity should be 70% ish. I incubate at 32c.

What speices of hermans do you keep?

#7 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

I try not to let my incubator go above 32.5 for any length of time, as too higher temps in incubation can cause dead in shell, or deformaties.

What speices of hermans do you keep?

#8 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:18 PM

I would not let it go any higher as this is top of the range for most Med species. Higher temps are more likely to produce deformities. If you do need to move the eggs for any reason then do keep them the right way up, mark with a x to be sure there are no accidents.

#9 Guest_docturgonzo_*

Guest_docturgonzo_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:09 PM

I make it about 2 weeks till the eggs hatch from what you guys say. I am having trouble getting the Humidity over 50%.

I have 4 glasses of water in the incubator and still it hasnt gone up any more. Can i spray the eggs / virmiculite? Or is there another way to raise the humidity without disturbing the eggs as im told that humidity towards the final few weeks is very important. I am trying to aim for 70%

Will the eggs be ok at 50% humidity as it kinda seems everyone has theres set to 70%

Thanks in advance for any help

#10 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

have you tried putting a spounge in the water?worked for me

#11 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:33 PM

When it gets to near hatching, I do spray my eggs gently every day.

#12 Guest_docturgonzo_*

Guest_docturgonzo_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:57 PM

Ill stick a moist sponge in there too. Good idea.

With regards the spraying , am i ok to do this now with 2 weeks to go or is it too early?

#13 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:26 PM

hi what sort of incubator are you useing and could you say how it is set up is the heater element above or below the egg tray and where have you put the water bowl.you shouldnt be getting to many problems raising the humidity to 70% if things are set up correctly.i would be a little cautious spraying the eggs if the humidity is very low the sudden increase could cause the eggs to crack.
terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users